PDA

View Full Version : Wing Tank Removal

02-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Would there be any structural/safety problem to fly a Colt wing (exp) with the fuel tank removed, diagonal brace re-installed
and patch the hole in tank cover? The wing will have new univair stamped ribs. Any opinions?

Thanks
Jim Miller

JohnW
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
No problem. Not as long as the tubular "strut" that goes through the tank is still in place. Fact of the matter is...the Colt was "stock" with only the left wing tank originally installed (and a simple "On/Off" valve) and the right wing tank and selector valve was "optional".

Steve Pierce
02-23-2008, 04:48 PM
I agree with John. You might even consider using standard ribs and eliminating the fuel tank lid, they are kinda heavy also. Of course you could elemintae the weight of the rod by going back to the drag/anti-drag wires. I have the wires and fittings I would trade you if you'd like to do that. I'd even be interested in buying your tank and lid for my Clipper.

02-24-2008, 08:34 AM
John, Steve
Thanks for the advise. My goal is to be able to add tank later if weight is not a problem (exp cub) or use the wing back on a Colt. I may even make a another tank lid and beef up with some angle or channel riveted to the back of it to stiffen.

Jim Miller

pistoncan
02-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I agree with John. You might even consider using standard ribs and eliminating the fuel tank lid, they are kinda heavy also. Of course you could elemintae the weight of the rod by going back to the drag/anti-drag wires. I have the wires and fittings I would trade you if you'd like to do that. I'd even be interested in buying your tank and lid for my Clipper.
Steve, Do you have extra ribs for sale? I also have a couple 18 gallon tanks for sale/trade if anyone needs them. topsaddle at first-comm.net Gary