PDA

View Full Version : Floorboards

stretchedpacer
12-28-2009, 12:19 AM
For those of you who have built new floorboards, what materials have you been using?

My piper originals seem to mic out at something in the neighborhood of .035 (aluminum). I originally cut a set out of .035 but it seems a little light to me in actual application. Like most of you, I am looking to keep the weight to a minimum but I dont want to have to replace them just because I was too dumb to add weight where it counted. For what its worth, the originals were in pretty good shape, but I dont know if they were covered in carpet or something else before I got them. I will not be using any carpet, etc. Just powder coating whatever I use. Thanks.

Steve Pierce
12-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Ours are .032" and we are going back with the same. My Clipper had .032" and no carpet and there was no problem with the thickness and I flew most of the time with no back seat and lots of stuff in the back. When I hauled the O-320 to LA from Texas in my Pacer I threw a piece of 3/8" wafer board on the floor and then set the engine on a tire. Still no problems. I see where the Super Cub guys are talking diamond plate, wood and .063" aluminum. http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=19975 Like someone said, ounces add up to pounds. ;)