PDA

View Full Version : Bungee cord install- my way

Frank Green
05-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Photos show my way to do cords safely, evenly and with out rolling them. Years ago I modified my shop press with a double acting hydraulic cylinder like you would find on a wood splitter to use for broaching. Got to thinking about it and it will pull just as well as push so I bolted the table to the uprights and bolted a plate with a 7/8 hole to the table. My lift is self explanatory in the pictures. Put the hydro thru the plate and pin it. Catch the cord with the hooks and spread them with the threaded rod. Stretch the cords above the lugs. Tighten the threaded rod to position the cords over the lugs and gently lower the cord on to the hydro. The one in the picture is a PA18 hydro with double 1280HDs on large ears. No problem. There are many ways to do it, this is mine. Any body want them done I'll do em for $5 a cord plus UPS back to you.

captbill1956
05-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Cool looking rig. That's the deal of the century for changing bungees. If you haven't already, you need to post that over at the supercub site too. You may have more buisness than you know what to do with. Im out of the bungee business for now, presently converting my tripacer with theTrimmer gear mod that uses Maule shock struts. I'm really impressed with your set up though.
Bill Meredith
N7749D
Kingsland, TX

Ed Brown
05-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Frank, Nice set-up. I like the hooks you used to hold the bungees. I also made a tool that used hydraulics and after using it decided to modify it to incorporate hooks next time. There was a lot of friction getting the bungees off those tubes and on to the cabane. The hooks would help with that.

I've attached photos of us putting bungees on my Vagabond struts.

That's my IA Gary in the photo.

As you can see, my tool is way overbuilt. You could probably pick up the corner of the hangar with it. John W had me so skittish about how scary this job was, I really took every precaution. No one got hurt, so Thanks John.

Ed

Frank Green
05-05-2010, 11:48 AM
My tool was similar but was not happy with rolling the cord and one side at a time was scary. This makes a nice even stretch and a gentle unrolled placement. Note the covering on the finished shot how straight the wrap is. The hooks were made out of 5/16 grade 8 bolts tried 1/4 first but they bent. There is a lot of force here.

nicka
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey Captbill1956 would you mind starting a new thread and post some pics and info of the Trimmer gear mod, when I get to my fuelage here with my project I am going to incorporate this mod om my airplane and any info or problems yoou run into would be helpful.

SuperPacer
05-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Here is "Our Version" of the Sturat "Bungie Buddy", that I built up one size bigger that their's. This unit will fit bungies onto Short wing hydro Sorbes up to the Pawnee version, with Three 1280HD's. The units shown in the photos we for a "Experimental" Streached Pacer with slotted cub wings & 540 with C/S prop. He needed the extra cords to hold the extra weight.

Frank, Your way does the job better in the context of not twisting or rolling the cords. I get even stretch, but looking at the photos, I did get some twist!

The Trimmer Gear STC looks like the "way to go". How much does the Maul Shock Struts cost compaired to our Hydro Sorbes??

Enjoy the day,

john

Frank Green
05-07-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't know if the rolling makes any difference in the life of the cord. My set up used to be similar but I didn't like rolling one side at a time and the snap when they drop in so I came up with the hook setup and it works real well. I'm sure it could be copied in other manual setups like yours. Wouldn't even charge for my "intellectual property copyright" Oops that is in another thread.

Larry Huntley
05-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Nice job Frank. I have my own system ,but yours looks like a much better ,safer way to go. Thanks for posting the pics. I will probably try it.
Larry Huntley

airbusflyboy
05-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Hi Frank ! I would be interested to have you do this for my Piper Colt hydrasorbs. Can you e-mail me your business address and I will get these coming up to you soon as we are ready to remove from aircraft. I will cut the old cord off as we need to clean up and repaint the hydrasorbs.
This appears to be a brilliant idea that you came up with ! Thanks in advance ........................... Mark Casillas, Memphis,TN 901-413-8692

Steve Pierce
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
While in Alaska Eddie Trimmer showed me this heavy duty bungee tool down the taxiway from him. I am planning on building one like this.

JohnW
05-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Am I correct in assuming that the OSHA Approved safety cage made out of 1/2" steel bars one inch apart has been removed for clarity of the pictures? (humor, boys)

What, pray-do-tell, is the shot laden deadblow hammer for, in this operation? Killin' 'Laskan Skeeters while your stretchin' the bungees? Boy, that's for the Man Who Has Everything!

Frank Green
05-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Trouble with that one Steve is it still rolls the cord on. Notice the twist and you do one at a time pulling the pins. John I forget what the dead blow was there for but isn't used in the install. OSHA????? who are they? This is a second shift operation and we all know gov. types don't work second shifts.

Steve Pierce
05-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Saran wrap and an angle on the tube the bungee is held on should solve the rolling problem if it really is a problem. Put a set of bungees on Super Cub hydrosorbs today with my Bungee Master and I am tired of that goat rope.

Frank Green
05-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Not sure if the twist is a problem or not. Just makes sense if you can do it with out twisting why not. My hook method could easily be adapted to a frame and a threaded rod to pull it. The only thing different are the hook plates instead of lugs so you can lift the cords over the lugs and then gently set them on.

Stephen
05-18-2010, 05:37 PM
While in Alaska Eddie Trimmer showed me this heavy duty bungee tool down the taxiway from him. I am planning on building one like this.

This would be improvement over the video from your workshop last year.

Steve Pierce
05-18-2010, 05:39 PM
This would be improvement over the video from your workshop last year.
Ha, it bit my helper yesterday. It's gotta go.

Lownslow
05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Just thought I would send these out again. My Bro Clyde designed and built this tool using a Ford Bronco jack. Works like a charm, little or no effort, and very safe. No Twist, no pop, no scapes, no scars.

He got the brains, I got the looks.

Lou S.

Throttle Pusher
05-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Thats got to be the simplest way to do it that I've ever seen.
But I wonder how even the bungys are from one side to the other?
I've been watching this thread closely becouse I'm needing to make one.
(getting tired of barowing) Looks like the simplest to make as well.

Ken

Frank Green
05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
I like it. Uses hooks to get the cord over the ear, nice job.

Lownslow
05-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Initial stretch stretches the entire cord evenly, then they are just bent in half, pretty evenly I suppose. There's an old video on you tube of a guy installing them at Piper on Cubs back in the 50's. They just used leverage to bend them into position in a similar way, without the stretcher, and then snapped them off of the dogs. I think I posted that here on a similar forum, but I can't find it now. Once the cord is stretched as shown, it takes little to no effort to bend the sorb over to position for unlatching the cord off of the dogs. The tool is designed for the dogs to move down and beside the sorb for easy removal of the cords from each side. I can send more pics if neeeded.

Lou S.

Steve Pierce
05-20-2010, 01:32 PM
The tool Piper used on hydrosorbs.

Frank Green
05-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Quite the spanner bar to roll them off the lugs one at a time. Hey John you think Piper got that one OSHA approved. If I were to build another one I'd do it like Lou's. Could be used at the airport with out taking them back to the shop.

Lownslow
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
I will lend ours or you or you can come by the shop and we'll put them on.

Lou

Glen Geller
04-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Thursday night we replaced the bungees on Curt's PA22, using the SWPC Bungee Buddy. Yes, it does make a helluva snap when the rings move from the tool to the ears of the hydrosorb, and yes, there is a bit of roll in the rings, but from "OK, let's get started" - then teaching a greenhorn how to lift the plane, remove the sorb, replace the rings, reinstall the sorb, then repeat for the other side - to "Well done, lets celebrate with beer and pizza!" we took all of two hours. That said, the $30 shipping - each way - has convinced us we need to build our own, and we really like the design Forrest has. With five flying Tri-Pacers in our group, and two more in restoration, we need our own tool for this.

P.o.P.
04-13-2013, 03:19 PM
I have installed bungees with a chainfall & thin rope.

Worked very well & was easy to control.