PDA

View Full Version : Anyone lengthen the stock pacer landing gear

chopper12
12-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Has anyone lengthened the stock pacer landing gear.
I'm not talking about the Trimmer gear or cub style gear .
But the gear used on the 22/20 and pacer [Univair style gear]
If so how much did you extend it and how did you do it?
Any other modifications guys have done to the Univair style pacer gear ,I would like to hear about it.

THANKS

Lee Finstad
01-12-2022, 02:20 PM
In my forum searching, this old thread came up, so because I too am interested in this modification I thought I’d bring it back to the top of the pile..
so has anyone done this?

dgapilot
01-12-2022, 02:35 PM
Trying to extend a Pacer gear would be problematic. The attach fittings are only 12" apart, the longer you make the gear, the smaller the included angle at the bottom, and the more the landing loads would be for wheel spin up and braking. With such a short lever arm, I suspect you would need to install much larger tubing in the fuselage to absorb those loads!. In comparison, the PA-18 gear attach fittings are 21. 5" apart. Lengthening that gear will also reduce the included angle, but that angle is greater to start with.

Lee Finstad
01-12-2022, 04:44 PM
Thanks for that input sir, I guess the decision to make is either stick with the standard pacer gear or go with Trimmer’s design beefing up the lower fuselage and using Supercub gear. Just doing a Tailwheel conversion on a Colt experimental. I intend to fly it out of our ranch prairie airstrip but won’t be doing any sand bar operations or STOL comps

Steve Pierce
01-13-2022, 07:54 AM
Are you wanting more prop clearance? I think you are on the right track with the extended Super Cub gear. The streamline tube on the stock Pacer gear would be a weak point when extending. It is usually what fails on standard gear. One thing about the Pacer is with the shorter fuselage taller tires raise the nose higher. I bet 26" Goodyear tires gain you as much or more than 3" extended Super Cub gear with a lot less work.

Lee Finstad
01-13-2022, 10:36 AM
Well that’s exactly my thinking too, I intend to use either 8.50’s or the 26” tundras with a lot less invasive work on an otherwise damage free history on this colt frame (apart from the lower longeron corrosion that was professionally repaired) Any thoughts on Airframe Alaska’s T3 tailwheel setup?

Armstrong
05-12-2022, 01:47 PM
Well that’s exactly my thinking too, I intend to use either 8.50’s or the 26” tundras with a lot less invasive work on an otherwise damage free history on this colt frame (apart from the lower longeron corrosion that was professionally repaired) Any thoughts on Airframe Alaska’s T3 tailwheel setup?

Hi Lee,

The hangar fairies installed a T3 and Baby Bushwheel on my Pacer to protect the airframe from me while I honed my tailwheel chops (still am!) and it is great for that but -

Even though I have the Univair extended gear and 26” Alaskans that are taller than the Goodyears, the angle of attack wasn’t enough. Tried all combinations; bush wheel with stock springs, T3 with Scott 3200, and both.

I’d stick with the Scott 3200 with a Supercub or Husky tailspring. Pretty tough set-up and I’m sure more than adequate for your mission.

The T3 and Baby Bushwheel was a fun experiment, and it certainly did its job of protecting my airplane from my abuse, but also draggy as hell and heavy - a whole other long story. The hangar fairies have sent it all off to a new home.

I’ll be fitting an Alaskan tailspring on mine as the stock Pacer (especially Univair’s) spring may be fine for nice smooth runways, both grass and asphalt, but it can’t stand up to even the mild off-airport scene I’m into.

Hope this helps,

John

akflyer
05-12-2022, 04:47 PM
31s on mine with the T3. I would not give up either of them for off airport flying. If you are not out beating up your plane, you probably wont need it, but if you play in the rocks and unimproved strips, the T3 is AWESOME.

Armstrong
05-12-2022, 11:07 PM
31s on mine with the T3. I would not give up either of them for off airport flying. If you are not out beating up your plane, you probably wont need it, but if you play in the rocks and unimproved strips, the T3 is AWESOME.

Agreed. For anyone going hardcore, that gear is certainly the way to go, and don’t mess around with anything but 29s or 31s -they’re only a couple hundred bucks more.