PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer style cabane with Hydrasorbs?

H2OFWL
03-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Okay, another newby here. I've been reading this forum for some time and finally purchased my Experimental Clipper. I must say, with 36' wings she's no longer a "short-wing" Piper. I've searched for gear mods, etc & just can't find much on the set up I want. I currently sit on stock Clipper / Pacer width gear and need to upgrade before off airport landings and skis. I plan on using a set of 3" PA18 gear and have the supports planned for welding on the fuselage & longeron for the wider spaced fittings. I'm close to Trimmer in AK and really want to use his cabane but I want to stick with bungees not oleo Maule rigging. I know this has been done by someone out there and I'd rather not waste time trying to invent what seems a straight forward practical design. Your 2 cents please.

Steve Pierce
03-28-2011, 06:07 AM
A guy in Canada had that set upon his Clipper. I would do Eddie's fuselage modifications and then build the lower strut to fit the gear to the Clipper at the same angle it is on the Super Cub.

Grantmac
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Out if curiosity:

Does your PA-16 now have flaps? How did you handle that part of the build?

-Grant

H2OFWL
03-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Grantmac,

I did not do the build and have only had the plane with me for about two weeks. The wings were in kit form from A&E (now D&E I think). They are 36' with 8 foot, 50 degrees of flaps on each side. Ailerons all the way out to the wing tip as well. I just need to get stronger gear under her for when the snow melts...6" more last night.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
H20FWL

Is that the clipper that was for sale with the 0-300 in it..??

Brian

nicka
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
There are quite a few Pacers running around Lake Hood, Merrill Field w/ Cub gear and the hydrasorbs/bungees on them, maybe you could measure some of those, Not sure how much different the Clipper dimensions are in comparison, and not sure exactly where you are out of. I also think, if I remeber correctly, that the Batpacer that is on here has that set up and you could check out some pics of it on the photo page and see if that's what you want. I believe he is out of Birchwood or Chugiak or something.

H2OFWL
03-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes, it has the O300 and was for sale last fall in the "lower 48." I'm in Fairbanks so getting to Anchorage anytime soon isn't in my plans. I'll look at the batpacer. Thanks!