PDA

View Full Version : Extending flaps inbord to fuselage

chopper12
11-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Hi

Has anyone extended their flaps inboard to the fuselage and if so how did you deal with the slope of the fuselage.The fuselage on the back door side is about 2 inches wider at the bottom of the fuselage[where flap meets in full down position] then at the top of the fuselage where the flap meets. It appears you would have to build the inboard section with an angle it to compensate for the slope when at full flap.But when the flap is neutral you will now have a angled 2 inch gap.THANKS

Stephen
11-10-2011, 07:03 PM
There are many planes with this mod as it is part of the X-Winds wing STC.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
11-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Our Pacer has this mod as part of the leading edge STOL cuff.... Yes, the inboard end of the flap is angled so that when full flap is deployed it is even with the side of the fuselage.

Warning, there is one problem with the mod..... When full flap is deployed it causes the tail to shake when really slow.... We have been contemplating removing the cuff when we recover the wings. The cuff only works good with the short wing at a real high angle of attack and you have to fly behind the power to make it work..... Not a good feeling in these airplanes...... We feel that VG's do more for the wing than the cuff does.

Brian.

chopper12
11-11-2011, 01:02 AM
THANKS
Brain what do you do to fill in the missing angle at the fuselage when the flap is in the neutral position.Do you have any pictures of it on the door side in the neutral position and the full down position.
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

Stephen
11-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Our Pacer has this mod as part of the leading edge STOL cuff.... Yes, the inboard end of the flap is angled so that when full flap is deployed it is even with the side of the fuselage.

Warning, there is one problem with the mod..... When full flap is deployed it causes the tail to shake when really slow.... We have been contemplating removing the cuff when we recover the wings. The cuff only works good with the short wing at a real high angle of attack and you have to fly behind the power to make it work..... Not a good feeling in these airplanes...... We feel that VG's do more for the wing than the cuff does.

Brian.

Your observation on the cuff....seems to me similar to what Steve says about slots (Steve correct me if I'm wrong) I was thinking that I would like to install the cuff for a short period of time and see how it works. But, high AOA, low speeds at some point are not fun.

Steve Pierce
11-11-2011, 07:57 AM
The slot on the Super Cub worked really well at a very high angle of attack but I never got the slotted winged Pacer real nose high on landing.It seemed to work fine in normal landing pitch attitude. It did get off the ground in a ridiculous nose high attitude and fly really slow at altitude in the same nose high attitude. I think the propensity for the Pacer to land taail low might have something to do with my apprehension to come in really steep, plus I am less bold as I get old. 8)

Stephen
11-11-2011, 09:15 AM
The slot on the Super Cub worked really well at a very high angle of attack but I never got the slotted winged Pacer real nose high on landing.It seemed to work fine in normal landing pitch attitude. It did get off the ground in a ridiculous nose high attitude and fly really slow at altitude in the same nose high attitude. I think the propensity for the Pacer to land taail low might have something to do with my apprehension to come in really steep, plus I am less bold as I get old. 8)

We need to get some young kid to test this out for us.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
11-11-2011, 11:25 AM
THANKS
Brain what do you do to fill in the missing angle at the fuselage when the flap is in the neutral position.Do you have any pictures of it on the door side in the neutral position and the full down position.
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

Nothing, it is open and really does not look bad at all. Will have to go across the runway sometime today and take a couple of pics.

Steve Pierce

The slot on the Super Cub worked really well at a very high angle of attack but I never got the slotted winged Pacer real nose high on landing.It seemed to work fine in normal landing pitch attitude. It did get off the ground in a ridiculous nose high attitude and fly really slow at altitude in the same nose high attitude. I think the propensity for the Pacer to land taail low might have something to do with my apprehension to come in really steep, plus I am less bold as I get old.

Plus flying behind the "power curve" is not a good idea..... One burp of the engine and your in big ass trouble....

On another note, I think it would be real interesting to fly a pair of Doug Keller's flaps on a short wing.... That might make a real difference in short field performance....

Brian.

stevesaircraft(Bri)
11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Another Pacer on the field came by to get some gas.... he has the LE Cuff with the flap mod so I took a couple of pics of his..... Ours is basically the same...

Right Side..
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j474/cougarcat1969/dc515379.jpg

Left side flap down..
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j474/cougarcat1969/ec52648c.jpg

Left side flap up..
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j474/cougarcat1969/e2e88ac4.jpg

Paint on his fuselage is getting bad... Going to recover it sometime next year.....

Brian.

chopper12
11-11-2011, 04:31 PM
THANKS Brain
That really helps me see what things look like.