PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 vs full wrap outboard leading edge skins.. Impact on covering?

alpinestar
02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Could use some advice regarding my latest dilemma... Leading edge skins. My wings are nearly complete (uncovered), with 3/4 skins from the strut attach outboard. While thinking about the covering, i realized what a dilemma the 3/4 skins bring in terms of the reinforcing tapes/cut lines/etc. Im thinking that ideally I would have used full wrap skins all the way across the wing, and then be able to more easily do a really "clean" looking covering job. Not too late to change to full wrap skins... Just a lot of work! Would it be worth it? Am i making bad assumptions or missing something regarding covering the wings with a mix of full wrap and 3/4 skins?? Experimental and unexperienced! I like the covering and taping technique shown on Sturms supercub site. Wrapped the top& bottom fabric all the way around the LE to the opposite side spar (no LE tape) and the rib tapes do not wrap around the LE. Just looks nice to me.

Steve Pierce
02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Round tips or something else? Full wrap would be more challenging with the compound tip skin. I happen to like the tapes all the way around the leading edge. How do you end them when they don't wrap around?

alpinestar
02-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Hi Steve. Round tips, planning on making fiberglass tip skins (over foam). I have seen the rib tapes end just forward of the front spar... Looks really nice if they are uniform. Wondered about them peeling back in the breeze, but hasnt been a prob on the few planes i have seen like this.