PDA

View Full Version : leading edge cuff

DougG
10-09-2012, 08:00 AM
HI, just wondering if anyone has tried or heard of putting a leading edge cuff, similar to say a Horton cuff, on a Pacer?
thanks,
Doug.

redbarron55
10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
It pretty much already has one with the stock airfoil.

SuperPacer
10-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Doug,
We had an early Pacer here at Ogden several years ago that had a cuff, not sure who's kit it was. Also I think the Charlie Center's (www.crosswindsstol.com) crosswinds STOL wing mod includes a cuff, but not positive. You could chack with "BatPacer" on this site, as he has the crosswinds STOL modified wings on his plane. Also, on SuperCub.org, Jerry Burr would probably have good info on the cuff versus the VG mods.

Enjoy the day
John

Stephen
10-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Crosswinds is the only cuff that I know of. I have talked to Batpacer and Jerry Burr and they both like how they help with low end performance. But, they both had done several mods and were not specific about how much the cuff made the difference.

I too, have wondered about the cuff and or the leading edge slats. They seem to increase the critical AOA, but I am not sure how this makes a big improvement in practical use. My plane has a very steep deck angle during power-on stalls, and this would be increased making slow power approaches very nose high and requiring lots of power. I have watched Wayne Mackey do this in his slatted SC, it looked very awark and difficult to control...but he sure did get the plane slow on approach.

I would love to get set of Charlies cuffs and temporarly install them and test it. Steve has experience with slats.

The first things to do are VG's and then extended wing area, using Sullivan, X-Winds, Svenn or Stewarts....these mods make a difference.

this-is-steve
10-09-2012, 07:41 PM
I put stewart wing tips and vg's on my pa22/20-160. They really helped. If I really slow it down for landing the tail touches way before the mains do. I wouldn't want any more AOA on landing.

Steve

DougG
10-10-2012, 08:44 AM
HI, thanks for the rsponses. I've played a little with VG's as well and was really impressed but always curious about other approaches. I like the leading edge slats but a fairly big mod while a cuff would be a relatively easy experiment. I'll look into the info presented above, thanks.
Doug.