PDA

View Full Version : Cylinders-overhaul vs. new?

Roger, Roger
05-07-2013, 03:56 PM
We need to decide rather soon what were going to do for cylinders on our O320 overhaul...overhaul or new? One shop gave me a quote of $800 ballpark for parts and labor for each cylinder to overhaul (replacing all the Lycoming SB240 items, of course). Looks like new Lycoming jugs are running in the neighborhood of 1100. Any input? Another factor is that shipping the cylinders round trip to anywhere in the lower 48 is probably going to add at least $100 to the cost of each cylinder.

Troy Hamon
05-07-2013, 05:39 PM
If it were me...and it's not...and I had the money...which I don't...I would replace. Might not use Lycoming factory cylinders, but I would get new ones.

Roger, Roger
05-07-2013, 06:10 PM
If it were me...and it's not...and I had the money...which I don't...I would replace. Might not use Lycoming factory cylinders, but I would get new ones.
Lycoming factory is pretty much the same price as ECI. Haven't checked superior yet.

jay heil
05-07-2013, 08:16 PM
mine was not overhauled since like 1964 so it had 7/16 ths ex valves and something was differant with my rocker arms that I had to get the "new style" so anyway I ended up paying more to fix up my old cylinder then it would have cost me to replace them plus I still have old cylinders ,I sure would go with new ones

Pacer 24C
05-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I have Superior Cylinders - but I would go with Genuine Lycoming New - unless the budget is really tight - can't beat factory cylinders - What I don't like about the Superiors I have is that they have .006" Choke - which probably does not expand out on a cool running 7:1 compression 150 hp -

Greg Adams
05-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I have overhauled cylinders. One of them has an obvious weld repair around the spark plug hole which includes a fin welded back on. There are a few spots where fins are knicked, or have little broken off pieces. They look second hand. I'll go new next time.

Steve Pierce
05-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I prefer new. I have replaced way too many overhauled cylinders prematurely over the years due to cracks etc. I would check with A.E.R.O. at the new store in Wasilla. http://www.aeroinstock.com/Engine_Parts/Lower/Contact_Us/Store_Locator/Alaska.php

gliderman
05-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Sigh
I wish someone would make a run of 0-290 cylinders

Upgrading to a 320 is not in the cards of this poor boy

Eagleavn
05-09-2013, 08:31 AM
We need to decide rather soon what were going to do for cylinders on our O320 overhaul...overhaul or new? One shop gave me a quote of $800 ballpark for parts and labor for each cylinder to overhaul (replacing all the Lycoming SB240 items, of course). Looks like new Lycoming jugs are running in the neighborhood of 1100. Any input? Another factor is that shipping the cylinders round trip to anywhere in the lower 48 is probably going to add at least $100 to the cost of each cylinder.

Are you going to keep the acft....then buy New.
:icon_biggrin:
LP

Eagleavn
05-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Sigh
I wish someone would make a run of 0-290 cylinders

Upgrading to a 320 is not in the cards of this poor boy

Ive got 4 used ones....

lp

Rollie
05-11-2013, 08:26 PM
If you go with new, my mechanic swears by Lycoming cylinders, says he has seen them go well over 3000 hours and that while the Superiors and Milleniums are good, they won't last as long as the Lycomings. Just heard him say that again a couple days ago so I thought I'd pass it along.

It sucks that you have to split your cases again, but hang in there. You'll be a pro by the time you're done (or at least have a good idea why the pros charge so much) I know the first time I do a job like that I end up doing it about three times too. And then I usually find out that I didn't need to take it apart one of the times