PDA

View Full Version : Plasma cut 4130 & 1025

stubcub
05-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Ive been contemplating building an acro cub (wag) and am wondering if anyone has used a cnc plasma cutter to cut for all of the brackets ect.

Curly
05-28-2013, 09:31 PM
I have tried it but the heat hardened the edge and made it a pain in the butt to linish all the marks out of the cut edges. I intended to get all mine done with a water jet but when I found out the costs involved, I resorted to the old fashioned hacksaw, file and linisher for the steel parts and a router for aluminium.

idahopacer
05-29-2013, 08:20 AM
one thing about a building project, you end up with a lot more tools than you had before

Wheelie Wayne
06-03-2013, 11:08 AM
That is one of the bonuses, having an excuse to buy more tools!

Southern Aero
06-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Stub

I have most all the J3/Wag fittings already cut if you are interested. They are water jet cut. I have used plasma cut before with no problems just more clean up time. All are still flat and you would have to finish forming yourself. Any holes are undersized and you would need to drill/ream to finish. I have "lots" of some of the fittings and few of others. .......... Fairly inexpensive.

Wayne

Southern Aero
06-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Hello, I would be interested in some water jet cut fittings for a experimental cub project I have on the back burner. Are they cut from a CAD program? Thanks. Kevin
---End Quote---

Kevin

Yes they are either drawn in Corel or Autocad and then imported into what ever proprietary software cutter uses. I just job it out a local. If you have the Cub drawings, they are just like them but made of 4130 instead of 1025. I'm sure I have most all the lower fittings but might not have the upper wing attach ones but might get more cut. Being its 4130 its best to use a little heat in forming as not many folks have a press that will do it but a small one can be fabricated or modified to use on an H press or similar.

What all do you need? I'll take a little inventory later today to see what all I have. ....... Haven't done a Cub in a couple years. I really didn't make these up to sell but I do have a lot more than I will need of some of them.

Are you building the Cub type front wing attach or Super Cub style?

Thanx

Wayne
404 309 8208c