PDA

View Full Version : Flap/Aileron gap seals

cook11
06-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Can you use flat 0.032 or 0.040 aluminum strips for top/bottom gap seals? I am going to replace my existing upper flap gap seal as they are riveted on. Can you even put on lower flap gap seals? Will a lower aileron gap seal affect the planes handling?

danP
06-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi cook11,
I'm getting ready to install the upper flap gap seal as they are designed by Piper into our birds. From what i can tell the design is to let air flow up and have the flap gap direct the airflow over the upper surface of the flap to improve flap performance. If you install lower gap seal you'll potentially interfere with that. You may get better cruise (if its measurable at all).

I've hear the aileron gap seals help climb and cruise a bit but were not originally in the design. The flap gap seals are part of the type. Aileron gaps seals may need a 337 or an STC.

gliderman
06-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Hi Cook
I just tried to get this very thing by Transport
Was shot down in flames and then kicked while I was down

An stc is the only way to go and that is a pile of money

Shane-o
Ps are you coming to the Alberta Shortwing fly-in? July 19 & 20
At Lloydminister - fly out to Cold Lake on the Sat?

cook11
06-13-2013, 10:29 PM
My plane is registered as a homebuilt. My plane is a scratch built copy of a Pacer. I am trying to clean up the plane as much as I can for cruise performance. I won't be able to make it to the fly-in. Next year I hope!!

danP
06-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Cook11,

In the states the guy who built "Miss Pearl" has an stc for the aileron gap seals. Google "Piper Miss Pearl"

Terry E
06-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Are u sure he has an STC? I ask about his gap seals and I thought he said a 337 approval was needed.

Steve Pierce
06-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Frank does not have an STC for the gap seals. Field approval only.

Vagabondblues
06-15-2013, 08:27 AM
0.032 and 0.040 would be too thick and the required bend radius would be too great. I like the 0.016 2024 used in the attached 337. Looks like it is designed with the 0.016 metal give way to the surfaces and not cause binding.

danP
06-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Steves right, it seems that everytime I speak with frank none of his mods are STC'd but only approved on his airplane.

PeterL
06-16-2013, 07:57 AM
As President of the Short Wing Piper Club the Board was approached by myself to discuss this very subject, STC's or not.

Should a company/person have an STC for a product or mode that is approved by the FAA and Transport Canada the SWPC is willing to enhanced these products. As you know 337's are available ONLY in the USA, and that the responsibility to ensure that not only all 337 paper work is in order, but also if required engineering and flight test (if required), has been completed.

The Pearl Mods ads were removed from the old SW site and SW news for this very reason that his Mods are just 337's. As a Club we have to ensure that any all and all information publish is valid and NOT mislead any member/owner of a Short Wing. After purchasing any Pearl Mods, you the installer have to submit your own 337 paper work to the FAA.

Last year I had a conversation with the President of CubCrafters about the gapseal kits that they provide for their aircraft. This is his comment:
"We decertified an aircraft into experiment mode and conducted flight testing over a one year period, submitted results to the FAA for approval. Then we had to inspect the test plane and re-certified into normal status".

My question is: has the Pearl Mod gapseal mod been flight tested with detailed results submitted to the FAA? I don't know, however you the person interested in these products ask the questions, or, are you the test pilot with your family and friends on board ever time you take-off?

Peter Lubig
President

Oh yes, please checkout the SW new website:
www.shortwingpiperclub.org

We have changed and have new stuff,( and free items), just for you.

Todd
12-02-2013, 12:09 AM
I've got a set of Frank's aileron gap seals still in the box, with some sample 337s. Changed my mind. I'll make somebody a great deal!

pa20
12-02-2013, 02:19 AM
I've got a set of Frank's aileron gap seals still in the box, with some sample 337s. Changed my mind. I'll make somebody a great deal!

What made you change your mind? Gap seals seem to be a desirable mod.

Steve Pierce
12-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Frank is a DAR/DER, he should be able to approve them for you. Of course I have a Pacer here with his gap seals on the elevator and rudder but after talking to him and emailing him pictures to try and get approved he never got back to me.

Stephen
12-02-2013, 10:38 AM
"Last year I had a conversation with the President of CubCrafters about the gapseal kits that they provide for their aircraft. This is his comment:
"We decertified an aircraft into experiment mode and conducted flight testing over a one year period, submitted results to the FAA for approval. Then we had to inspect the test plane and re-certified into normal status."

Did CC share their results?

Todd
12-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Ditto what Steve said about getting assistance. I ended up not using the kit and instead bought long pieces of Univair's flap gap seal blank to make it in one piece, with a routered out relief at the aileron bellcrank (see photo.) Matches up perfectly as an extension of the flap seal. Haven't install a lower seal (yet) and may not. I want to fly it like this first.

Gilbert Pierce
12-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I believe all the Ms Pearl mods actually we're copied from Jim Younkin's Mystery Pacer.