PDA

View Full Version : Taylorcraft wing/ airfoil on an experimental shortwing?

danP
08-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Has anyone ever used the taylorcraft airfoil. from what I've seen the taylorcraft is about 15 miles per hour faster than a cub given the same engine. Just wondered how that might work on an experimental short wing.

d.grimm
08-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Dan,
A friend ( now deceased) put clipped T-Craft wings on his Vagabond.
Trailing edge didn't match up so he made some gull-wing
type fairings. He saw no increase in speed and said it would
require major changes in angle of incidence / fuselage attach
point changes and didn't want to change the fuselage or horizontal
stabilizer attach points. His opinion was it wasn't worth the effort.
Dave
P.S. this was done completely on the sly

Curly
08-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Dan - before even contemplating using a different airfoil, get a copy of Harry Riblett's book (online from EAA) on GA airfoil sections. Some of it stretches my old brain trying to understand it, but that is what building is all about - learning new tricks and keeping the brain muscle exercised.

Also have a look at Yahoo forum "WagAero Builders" as there is a lot of discussion on just this subject. It is not as simple as just whacking a new set of ribs onto the spars - things like windscreen mounting and roof lines are affected when you change the rib profile.

Steve Pierce
08-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Charlie Hillard was one of the Eagles with Tom Poberezney and Gene Soucey. Years ago he had a Clipped Wing Cub with the clipped Taylorcraft wing. It has been done quite a bit but I believe that it was for better aerobatics.

danP
08-25-2013, 05:14 PM
thanks for the interesting relies...Dave, how do you change the airfoil "On the sly";)

d.grimm
08-25-2013, 08:53 PM
No approvals, no log books, no "Actual" n-numbers.
Dave

danP
08-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Oh Dave, I knew what you meant by that, it's just isn't the new airfoil just obvious to anyone who looks. Just found that kinda funny.