PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mount Differences?

chrisg
09-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Did piper use different/heavier materials in the engine mounts on higher HP (150/160hp) tri-pacers than on the lower HP tri-pacers/colts?

Pacer 24C
09-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Not that I have ever been aware of - all PA-22 the same. No mention of that in the Aircraft Specifications (TCDS)

Steve Pierce
09-25-2013, 06:39 AM
The drawing is in the member section. Same mount dimensionally and all tube sizes except for the brackets for different things from the PA16, 20, 22 and the 150 hp Pawnee.

chrisg
09-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the responses! This makes it easier to buy a used engine mount.

chrisg
10-24-2013, 01:08 PM
How much mis-alignment of bolt holes is normal/expected when installing a mount? I have a couple mounts and neither match all four fuselage holes without flexing the mount. I'd expect that, but how much flexing is too much?

On one of the mounts, the bottom two holes are about 1/4" off (the mount holes are narrower than fuselage), and those are harder to flex into position than the top holes. When I do flex them it moves the holes on the engine side out of alignment. With the rubber grommets on then engine side, it seems like one could be out a quarter inch without much problem. How much can the engine side holes be out of alignment?

For those of you that have installed engine mounts, what is your experience with fit?

Steve Pierce
10-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Usually slips in pretty easy. I normally have to push the last one over maybe half a hole.