PDA

View Full Version : Younkin "mystery pacer" vs Dake "monocoupe 90AL"

cook11
12-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Did they ever race? If so who won? What was the cruise and top speed of both aircraft?

fabricman
03-22-2014, 12:23 PM
I flew up to Blakesburg that year with Younkin in the Pacer, along with Darrell Williams. The race challenge was mostly a joke as Jim knew his Pacer would never outrun the Monocoupe, but he just loved to twist Bud Dake's tail. For years he flew the Pacer with the Monocouple style geese on it with the geese looking back! It was a ongoing "smack down" contest between them for a couple of years. They did the race, and Bud of course won, but I can tell you the performance of Younkin's Pacer was impressive! It has been too long ago to for me to remember the actual speeds, if I ever knew, during the race, which I doubt were ever discussed. He had reduced the cooling intake for the engine as far as he could and did every kind of "speed" mod he could think of on the airplane, to the point that we had to climb very shallowly to prevent the engine from overheating, and then limit the time of the climb. We removed the intake restrictions before flying home. It was a fun year at BB and the "Mystery Pacer" was a good flying airplane.