PDA

View Full Version : MAULE M5 wings on Pacer. Is it possible?

cook11
04-14-2014, 10:28 AM
I might "potentially" be able to get a pair of M5 wings and bent airframe for a decent price so I am wondering if the Maule wings will install on the Pacer with minimal modifications? I am assuming that it would not be too difficult to do seeing that a Maule is essentially a modified Pacer "is that correct". If this has been done before what was involved with the transplant? Are flight control hookups the same? How was the flight characteristic afterwards? Thanks!

danP
04-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Cook11,
I doubt you could get that approved. Also, I'm not sure but, I think the aileron and flap hook ups are different. You are correct in that the airfoil is the same but the control surfaces are very different. The maul has the flaps extended out and the ailerons are shorter and may be deeper. the flaps also go to -7 degree when not deployed. My guess is this is a no go.

However, if you like the idea of the improved short field then Steve is testing wings that extend the flaps and add a leading edge slot. It will outperform the maul wing all else equal.

Bruce
04-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to get it approved? It's experimental isn't it?

deandayton
04-15-2014, 05:50 AM
The FAA is touchy about mixing certified aircraft parts and calling it experimental amatuer built. You'd have to work through their checklist and convince them it met the 51% rule. This process was documented and discussed on another thread awhile back.

cook11
04-15-2014, 08:48 AM
The aircraft I own is amateur built and it is Canadian registered. I do not know what the rules are for "hybrid" aircraft up here. I don't foresee it to be any different than putting on a set of modified piper wings that have been extended, slatted or have had the flight controls altered. But I could be wrong. I sent Eddie Trimmer an email last night asking for his opinion and I will keep you posted.

Jim Hann
04-15-2014, 09:34 AM
You can do it in the USA, just not as an E-AB. Possibly Experimental/Exhibition (X/X) but that has its own limitations. There are many categories of Experimental, Steve is working in one right now with the Tri-Pacer, what the usefulness is of the end result is what might be the determining factor.

If you don't think you can build it out of anything and actually fly it check out the old Junkyard Wars episode!

http://youtu.be/4-ExnBCpEWI

(Note, I am not endorsing this, saying it is smart or would ever try it. I'm crazy, not stupid!)

cook11
04-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Another wing that I think may be similar to a Maule/Pacer wing would be the bearhawk. Wing has a single strut though..

mmoyle
04-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Hmmm. Have a set of Bearhawk wings not 15' from the Pacer. Nah....will rebuild the Pacer right wing.... May look into rebuilding my wings to the PA22 150/160 specs when I help/learn how to do a Pacer wing re-cover at Rocket's...soon.
Mark M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cub Junkie
04-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Piper wings 31" spar centers Bearhawk wings 32" spar centers. Would take a little fabricating.