Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sensenich W80CM8 a worthy alternative to Borer 80"?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sensenich W80CM8 a worthy alternative to Borer 80"?

Carbon Concepts “Owner produced part” maybe???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Carbon Concepts “Owner produced part” maybe???
    Owner produced needs to conform to an approved design. If there is no approved design, you don’t have an owner produced part, you have research and development and that falls under Experimental!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhillier View Post
    "Prop is manufactured under car4 so users who have the TCDS that's says "wood prop..." Can just bolt on and go?"

The PA-22 and PA-200 TCDS both specify a fixed pitch metal propeller with a Lycoming O-320.

The only engine option that allows for a wooden prop is the Lycoming O-290 and that is limited to a maximum diameter of not over 74 inches.

The only way I can see for a 80" wood prop on an O-320 would be via STC. Unfortunately.

Props, at least older designs are designed and manufactured to CAR 14, not CAR 4. The PA-20 and PA-22 series are CAR 3 airplanes, so prop installation would be CAR 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates on this prop? Eddie Trimmer’s website still says the STC is only for the O-360. Can ayone confirm if he’s been able to add the O-320? Performance update?

Post Thanks / Like

Airframes Alaska (the Bushwheel guys) are selling the wood Sensenich for O-320 powered super cubs. They might be able to help you find an STC or Field Approval.

I do have to say though that I am not overly impressed with the one hanging off my O-360. I intend to borrow a couple of props to make some comparisons at some point. I'll be able to make a better opinion of this prop after I do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Airframes Alaska (the Bushwheel guys) are selling the wood Sensenich for O-320 powered super cubs. They might be able to help you find an STC or Field Approval.

I do have to say though that I am not overly impressed with the one hanging off my O-360. I intend to borrow a couple of props to make some comparisons at some point. I'll be able to make a better opinion of this prop after I do that.
    Thanks for the info. If you do the comparisons, I would like to hear what you find out. I have the old "club" prop on the O-360, and it would be nice to lose those LBS off the nose. But I would want to know I'm replacing it with something better!

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to give this thread a bump. Called Airframes today and they said that they'll do some research to see if they can find anyone that's been able to get a field approval for this prop on an O-320 equipped Pacer. My metal 74DM6 is nearing the end of its life and I would be willing to accept a little less performance out of this prop vs. the Borer in exchange for the erosion resistance and 16 lbs weight savings.

Post Thanks / Like

The W80CM8 uses 1/2 prop bolts on an SAE 6 flange. I think for the O-320 you would want the W80DM or W80DM7 depending on 3/8 or 7/16 prop bolts.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a field approval on the W80DM

Post Thanks / Like

I can only do field approvals in the Baltimore FSDO, but we could talk about a DER approval. I suspect that it would require some flight tests, meaning placing the aircraft in either R&D or Show Compliance for some time while a test plan would be completed, then returning it to Standard once complete. Not an inexpensive prospect.