Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

I would like to suggest and offer Pro-Bono work to take all of this thread into a narrated contiguous video CD. If someone with a "presentation voice" could make voice captures of all of the text that Brian has written, that could be integrated into the pictures, and maybe have a few independent voice interviews and comments and altogether make a professional (non-Utube of course) video. I have done this a lot to send detailed problem fixes out to the field and it is really neat and effective to have a living breathing voice describing the associated picture. Anyway, drop me a line if you are interested. (again, strictly Pro-Bono on my part. OK, OK, true confessions time, I have kind of been doing this all along. .

Post Thanks / Like

Right Answer, Andy!!
    Last edited by Clayton Harper; 10-18-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Per Dave's suggestion here are pics I have from a friend where I stopped on way back (AUN).
    I can dig up some old pix of other parts of the plane before restoration if that's what dave meant.
    Got out of Steve's AC day before the rain started. Only hazard on way home was smoke from the
    fires in Northern California and mid section between Fresno and the Gorman VOR. headed east
    around Palmdale to apple valley then to Utah. Ran engine hard each leg make sure rings seat well
    never above 6500' and most of trip in the 4500-5500 range. Took this long route to stay low
    for engine break in. My trip to MFR was SGU-Tonopah-Hawthorn NV-MFR, about 6 hours. Trip
    home long way was about 7.3. Not much wind either trip.

Had concerns before initial local test hop about cooling but cowl flap worked without modification.
    CHT on #3 never saw more than 390 on one climb out and averaged 340 after level off. Oil temp
    was in the 180 to 190 region until I got to the last leg going toward Vegas and was up to 210
    for a short period. Very happy with the way the engine came out.

Will get more pics detailing the mods and interior and engine later this week. This plane will last
    our family another 30-35 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andya; 10-20-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Andy,

I've been watching this thread since it started and the work done on your aircraft is pure craftsmanship. It Looks like you've got a great plane for the long term future. I've been going back and forth about my next step in airplane ownership and seeing the work that you invested in has made me pause and consider what great planes we have if they're given the proper care. Enjoy your time with her and your family. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration. Same goes for Brian with time and care he took with Andy's plane. Incredible.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I could have spent that money on a newer airplane, one that would be better traveler, a better back woods plane, faster, and other neat characteristics but in my mined the short wing piper group have great flight characteristics (including being current and sharp that was required back in the 40's and 50's) and all that makes them a fun and great airplane. You have to want to be challenged to enjoy one of these. I had a choice when I bought this some 25 years ago to buy a 180 comanche, nice airplane and
    it would have been a steal at the price offered but I told my friend that was trying to sell it to me, that I probably wouldn't fly it over lunch hour because it would
    not be the same challenge. Love these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like it is time to change your avatar. Congrats to you and Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, Will wait til I have some time to get a few more pics to choose from.

Post Thanks / Like

I thoroughly enjoyed following the progress of the restoration.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

This has been a great story thanks to Brian and Andy.

You'll have to fly out west again.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,

I am getting close to starting on my aluminum panels and cowlings etc.
    When using the etch and alodine what personal protection did you use and what did you do with the "run-off" waste etch and alodine?
    That is, how did you dispose of the run-off?
    Appears to be quite nasty stuff.
    Do either of the liquids give off any type of odor?

Just want to make sure I am prepared for this stage and have appropriate bath/bucket/trough. Boot cowl is quite large!
    Looks like this needs to be an outside "in the fresh air" task?
    Thanks
    TonyN