Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 36 of 69 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    You have to fly the test in controlled airspace. If you are not close to B or C airspace you have to do the flight in Class E controlled airspace that in most places starts at 10,000’.
    Correction: I should have said Class E airspace above 10,000. That is not controlled airspace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    uAvionix sent an email yesterday with an updated Approved Model List - https://uavionix.com/downloads/skybe...-001-Rev-B.pdf - the Clipper isn't on it but a lot of others are. They said there had been a hiccup during flight testing but expect to have the STC this month... Donn
    Hey all -- just wanted to throw this link out -- PA 18, 20, and 22 are all included in the AML -- suspect this is a good link to view updates as they happen.

https://uavionix.com/support/skybeac...l-information/

Does this mean there is a spacer/adapter solution for us?

Very excited.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see the Uavionix SkyBeacon option moving forward. I'm still curious how they can get away with installing this device where the pilot has an on/off switch like most airplanes do on the Nav Light circuit. I'm just thinking since this device is supposed to be used for surveillance, do you really want it to be easily switched on/off while in flight. Technically you only have to turn on your Nav lights as you head into twilight...following that rule, you wouldn't be broadcasting ASD-B until you flip the switch. Not trying to throw a wrench into the works but just curious if the FAA thought that thru. I guess that's a funny statement in itself -thought & FAA.

Not for that reason but I'm thinking this might be the way I go anyway. Simple and inexpensive.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Does this mean there is a spacer/adapter solution for us?

Very excited.
    Very easy to make a spacer or add some washers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Nice to see the Uavionix SkyBeacon option moving forward. I'm still curious how they can get away with installing this device where the pilot has an on/off switch like most airplanes do on the Nav Light circuit. I'm just thinking since this device is supposed to be used for surveillance, do you really want it to be easily switched on/off while in flight. Technically you only have to turn on your Nav lights as you head into twilight...following that rule, you wouldn't be broadcasting ASD-B until you flip the switch. Not trying to throw a wrench into the works but just curious if the FAA thought that thru. I guess that's a funny statement in itself -thought & FAA.

Not for that reason but I'm thinking this might be the way I go anyway. Simple and inexpensive.
    It's in the STC documentation and instructions; part of the requirement is you have to run with the lights on. So it's not a change to the FAR, but your POH and personal checklists are going to have to be updated.

Also, all of the x-ponders I've ever used can be turned off/cycled/switched at any time. Not to mention forgetting to switch it on in the first place... So not a lot of difference here. If the FAR says the ADS-B has to be on in these circumstances, and your ADS-B is the skyBeacon, then that trumps the rules for your AC lights. Did I mention checklists?

For others looking at this install: my plane has a single switch for internal/external lights. Given the lights need to be powered to be legal, are there any concerns with running the internals full time as well? Would it be advisable to separate the internal and external circuit? How hard is that to do? Is it as simple as a second switch?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Very easy to make a spacer or add some washers.
    I'm going to have to pull my light to see what it looks like behind the plate. Just having a hard time picturing the internals since I've never seen it...

Here's another question: these things have strobes; will there be enough clearance to see them around the wing tip? My Whelen tail strobe/air brake is probably on it's last leg... I'd love to find a way to eliminate it altogether or at least go to something lower profile. Color me confused when it comes to lighting requirements for a '56 aircraft given all of the updates.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Crash's comment: "For others looking at this install: my plane has a single switch for internal/external lights. Given the lights need to be powered to be legal, are there any concerns with running the internals full time as well? Would it be advisable to separate the internal and external circuit? How hard is that to do? Is it as simple as a second switch?"

I suppose this would depend on the configuration of your interior lights.
    If you have only shoulder-post lights (standard config for Shortwings) then I suppose you would draw some power and generate some ear-roasting heat with the interior lights on all the time. That is easily remedied by installing LED lamps in the shoulder-post light fixtures.
    If you had non-standard interior lights, like the bezel or panel-post lights above instruments, you would have to decide if there was an electrical load risk (doubtful.)

Probably not a big issue. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, updated checklists, or event a placard (which may come with the skyBeacon hardware) should be considered.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

If the tail skybeacon gets approved, my plan is to move the tail light wire to a separate switch so it can be on alone but jumper it to the original switch with a diode wire so that if the position lights are on the tail will be on regardless of the ADSB switch.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    If the tail skybeacon gets approved, my plan is to move the tail light wire to a separate switch so it can be on alone but jumper it to the original switch with a diode wire so that if the position lights are on the tail will be on regardless of the ADSB switch.
    Since it must be on all the time, why not just omit the switch and wire it direct to the circuit breaker? It would be a lot simpler.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 11-30-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an order in for the SkyBeacon. I’ll keep everyone posted on how the install goes.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk