Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

Hey Gang,

I'm flirting with the idea of setting up a pre-buy on a PA-20 close to me. It's been hangared and flown by the same owner for the last 25 years. Looking at the logs it was flown 80 - 110 hours a year, a great sign in my opinion.

The rub is that the plane hasn't been recovered in about 30 years. I've fallen in love with rag wing airplanes but I'm not as familiar. I'm worried the structure underneath the wings hasn't been looked at in a while. Think the pre-buy / punch test is good enough to get a feel for if and when we'll need to recover and any other oddities?

The plane is in Northern CA and figured I'd head to IvanAir at KSAC for the pre-buy unless anyone has a better recommendation for an A&P?
    Last edited by DanPatey; 12-08-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

Look for what looks like sand underneath the fabric where it wraps over the longerons. That's a quick indicator of corrosion on the fuselage. A good pre buy will show any other suspect conditions.
    As for the fabric, well it has a lot to do with how the plane was cared for. The wings on mine where last covered in '67. Aside from a bit of cracking ( and faded ugly paint) that I have to address now and then they're holding up fine. The insides can be seen (mostly) through inspection holes.
    Can't help ya on recommendations on A&P's. But I am at Flabob for another month or so if you want someone familiar with Pacers to take a peek at it. Would just need a looong familiarization flight for you to get here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Buying an airplane from someone who has owned it that long and flown that much is usually a good thing. I would inspect like Jason posted and look at the steel aileron and flap hinges and the strut attach fittings in the wings.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the $.02 guys. I won't be able to get over there for a few weeks, but the fact that I'll be able to sort for eyeball corrosion under the fabric makes me feel a bit better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanPatey View Post
    Hey Gang,

I'm flirting with the idea of setting up a pre-buy on a PA-20 close to me. It's been hangared and flown by the same owner for the last 25 years. Looking at the logs it was flown 80 - 110 hours a year, a great sign in my opinion.

The rub is that the plane hasn't been recovered in about 30 years. I've fallen in love with rag wing airplanes but I'm not as familiar. I'm worried the structure underneath the wings hasn't been looked at in a while. Think the pre-buy / punch test is good enough to get a feel for if and when we'll need to recover and any other oddities?

The plane is in Northern CA and figured I'd head to IvanAir at KSAC for the pre-buy unless anyone has a better recommendation for an A&P?
    Is this the one in Cameron Park?

I just brought mine home a week ago Friday and honestly, it’s the most fun I’ve had in 25 years.

I see you’re in So. Cal. Pippy is in a hangar in Corona, come on by some time.

Best of luck!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClippedWing View Post
    Is this the one in Cameron Park?

I just brought mine home a week ago Friday and honestly, it’s the most fun I’ve had in 25 years.

I see you’re in So. Cal. Pippy is in a hangar in Corona, come on by some time.

Best of luck!

Chris
    Chris,
    Hove you put up any photos of your new plane? As you know, without photos...It didn't happen!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, once I figured out how to edit my avatar. Should show now. Of course, as a proud papa, I have many but chose my favorite.

13.8 hours in 5 legs and three days, such a (mini adventure!) Literally took me back to 1986 when I was working in the parts dept. of my little flight school where I was hoping to become an instructor. 30 hours shy of my commercial, the owner came in on the Thursday before Easter and asked if I wanted to go to Milwaukee and fly a 152 home for him. Are you kidding? 22 hours over 8 legs and 3 days and I was that much closer.

Seems another life ago and I haven’t had this much fun since!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClippedWing View Post
    Yes, once I figured out how to edit my avatar. Should show now. Of course, as a proud papa, I have many but chose my favorite.

13.8 hours in 5 legs and three days, such a (mini adventure!) Literally took me back to 1986 when I was working in the parts dept. of my little flight school where I was hoping to become an instructor. 30 hours shy of my commercial, the owner came in on the Thursday before Easter and asked if I wanted to go to Milwaukee and fly a 152 home for him. Are you kidding? 22 hours over 8 legs and 3 days and I was that much closer.

Seems another life ago and I haven’t had this much fun since!

Chris
    Fine looking Pacer, Chris! Hope to see you out and about sometime. If you ever find your way north, give me a call! The only thing better than a flying a SWP, is having a group of SWP's!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Switching gears (slightly) and looking at a PA-22 up near Sacramento.

pa20 can you clear out your Private Messages so I can send you my info, I'd like to chat airplanes with ya!
    clippedwing I might be able to swing out to Chino the next few weeks and give you some gas money for ride if you're interested.

It looks like I might not be able to get aircraft records / 337 paperwork from the FAA until this shutdown ends?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanPatey View Post
    ....snipped.....

pa20 can you clear out your Private Messages so I can send you my info, I'd like to chat airplanes with ya!
    .......snipped..........
    Done, and done, Dan!