Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Sticks in a Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sticks in a Pacer

If all you have is a fuselage and no log or data plate like this $500. Clipper on BS, and build the plane, how is the 51% calculated to go experimental?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    If all you have is a fuselage and no log or data plate like this $500. Clipper on BS, and build the plane, how is the 51% calculated to go experimental?
    Here is a thread on that subject.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...erimental-quot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PowerTrip View Post
    Fingers crossed the pictures get fixed on this old thread, I really want to check them out. I don't necessarily need a stc, a field approval will be just fine if I can pull it off. I already have a baggage door, dual adjustable seats and mounts, and disk brakes from a colt on my list for field approvals. My FAA dude said if I can get drawings and info from another field approval or 1 time stc on the control sticks I can probably get it approved.
    Thanks, Mike
    From another thread on sticks and Pacers, the work looks nice
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...l=1#post105176
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterJ View Post
    Hi All
    I know this is a way old thread but thought it would be a good place to post what a buddy of mine and I are doing down here in the land of koala bears and snapping geckos
    Strictly for the experimental fans of course!!!!!! (Thanks Stephen for your help in the early days of design)
    Anyways, it requires a rerouting of the aileron cables some, couple of extra pulley locations and pulleys for the redirection.
    Also have included a pic of our take on the rare trim handle situation.
    Cheers
    HunterJ

Last edited by SMO22; 05-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that trim crank !

Post Thanks / Like

PA 16 conversion 3.jpgPA 16 conversion 2.jpgPA 16 conversion 045.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures from my "one time stc" I did a few years ago. This stick control is scratch built based on the PA 16. I made the sticks shorter for clearance and ease of climbing in and out. Overall, these sticks have good aileron and elevator feel. I usually keep the passenger stick removed.

Unfortunately, this mod is not available for certified aircraft. The STC process is lengthy and expensive and there are no guarantees in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-06-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy climbing over and around them danged sicks. Yours and your pass. Fat Legs keep you from using full deflection. Wouldn't have em. P-38's had yokes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter, nice work!

It looks like you are putting in Cub landing gear. This allows you to move you control mounting aft more than mine. This should also give more room for the flap mechanism. Experimental is the way to go.

I'm very happy with my sticks and, P51's are better, it has a tail wheel and sticks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx Stephen
    Yes PA18 gear actually and flat on the bottom - no more pesky channel to bend or rust.

Re trim handles, I know where I might be able to find one or two if they were needed
    Cheers
    HunterJ
    Last edited by HunterJ; 05-07-2018 at 02:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see some of the pics posted in this thread so I hope I'm not restating what others have posted but I am planning sticks in my experimental build. I did not want to deal with major changes to the landing gear and wanted a drop in replacement for the yoke column. Heres what I came up with so far. Any constructive criticism is welcome.
    Slide1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

More information is needed.

Where are you attaching the aileron cables? I am assuming the green brackets are the elevator? Are you using a push rod and bell crank?

What advantage do you see in changing the axis?

What type of landing gear do you have? I'm not sure what you mean by "drop in". You need to realign cables adds pulleys and mount this control system.
    Last edited by Stephen; 06-02-2018 at 08:37 AM.