Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sky-Tec on a PA 22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sky-Tec on a PA 22

Hi,

....... snap hole cover....

Maybe in the electrical department of one of the big box stores. Perhaps they stock the larger sizes of junction box knockout hole plugs.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m gong to tag on here since I’m striking out searching on Tapatalk. Didn’t somebody say the modified the rear leg of the cooler bracket to bolt to the SkyTec starter? Here is what mine looks like. Obviously the previous mechanics left it like this to clear the positive terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is how i do it. This actually came up yesterday when a Super Cub I rebuilt trashed a starter. The light weight Kelly starters MZ-6204 etc. with the standard Bendix are no longer made that will fit without modifying the oil cooler bracket. The E-Drive from Hartzell will fit if you have the standard exhaust without modifying the oil cooler bracket but won't fit the Sutton exhaust, too long, and are stupid expensive $700 plus.

20170412_155556.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Here is how i do it. This actually came up yesterday when a Super Cub I rebuilt trashed a starter. The light weight Kelly starters MZ-6204 etc. with the standard Bendix are no longer made that will fit without modifying the oil cooler bracket. The E-Drive from Hartzell will fit if you have the standard exhaust without modifying the oil cooler bracket but won't fit the Sutton exhaust, too long, and are stupid expensive $700 plus.

20170412_155556.jpg
    Perfect Steve, that is what I needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post

20170412_155556.jpg
    Last one I did I shortened the rod and bolted it to the lower lug... Keeps it clear of the starter cable...

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Last one I did I shortened the rod and bolted it to the lower lug... Keeps it clear of the starter cable...

Brian.
    Thanks Brian, I'll figure out what I want to do. Already showed my IA Steve's picture and got a thumbs up.
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

My starter just crapped out, and am thinking of replacing it with the Sky-Tec NL..... the B&C is just too much $$ for me.

Just a question before I order.....Can you cover up the starter hole in the cowl with the NL model?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All the ones I have installed you could. The gear comes out as far as the ring gear. That is the only thing that protrudes forward.

Post Thanks / Like

So, I'm looking to buy a B and C starter or, an E-drive Hartzell. Yeah, disregarding Steve's input this time because the total cost and RELIABILITY - life span - is really important to me. Not having to redo the power cable length is a couple hundred bux for the Hartzell, too, and there's your difference in that cost. Additionally, I don't have to do some magic Steve oil cooler mount mod either. The B and C is attractive because it's light and reliable as is the Hartzell, as opposed to everything I've read on the lifespan of Sky-Tec's. Again, a couple hundred bucks cheaper purchase price is really not an incentive for me if the reliability isn't there. My stock and original starter is still doing the job, but 10 pounds less up there and an little more cranking power would be nice. Hartzell and B and C appear to OWN the reliability label. I'm choosing soon, so any comments appreciated, as always.
    Thx,
    Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So are you saying there are reliability issues with the Sky Tec starters? Curious where that comes from. I have removed Sky Tec PM/LS starters from O-360 and replaced with the NL aND they have had great service . Never an issue with the O-320. Sky Tec sells a starter cable extension for $16 https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...lickkey=295174 or you can make one for a few dollars worth of cable and connectors.

You will have to modify the oil cooler bracket with the B&C starter.
    aaa_sized.jpg

I installed this Sky Tec NL starter and only had to bow the oil cooler bracket out a bit to clear the starter lead.
    IMG_20181031_140646.jpg