Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Steve's Rudder Trim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Steve's Rudder Trim

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    FWIW... Thought I would share my approach to setting the 1" preload, and my 'third' hand to help while adjusting the cable tension prior to swaging crimp sleeve. Grabbed a scrap piece of aluminum and fabricated two spacers with AN3 holes spaced 1" apart, connected to the rudder control arm and then to the trim-system cable thimble.
    Then was able to use the cable clamp to provide enough tension to keep cable from slipping, while adjusting to remove slack and just slight pressure on the springs... then secured to hold in place while preparing to swage with the nicopress tool.

Attachment 11186

Bryan
    Bryan...

I use needle nose vise grips with the ends wrapped in electrical tape... Push it against the sleeve, set the pre-load and clamp... I do both sides and then crimp the sleeve's...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Well, Peter asked the big question but I have one also. I've got the Univair conversion with dual toe brakes, will it work okay with those?

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    It will work.... Our Pacer has Univair dual brakes... The system taps into the same location where your rudder cables attach to the control horn by way of an AN111 cable bushing. The cables are left long so you install the system, adjust to within 1 inch of the rudder cable attach bolt, crimp on the bushing and trim off the excess cable. The 1 inch gives you your spring tension. So the system will work with Stock, Univair, Williams and any other setup…

It is funny the time this subject has come up.... We are literally right in the middle of an update to the STC. I am upping the cable size to 3/32 and changing the hard to find 1 inch pulleys to MS 24566-1B ball bearing pulleys that are 1.25 inch. With the pulley change, I also have to change two of my brackets slightly.

Now here is the big one…. I spent all morning figuring out my cost on the rudder trim system because we have not done so in over 10 years… Lots of research and digging through old files…I figured out that with the 1 inch pulleys I have a total parts cost of $250.52… With the new pulleys I will have $282.02 into parts. This DOES NOT include my time in assembling the kits and doing the paperwork. With the exception of the engine conversion STC, this one costs me the most to produce. I really need to get at least $400.00 retail each kit to make it somewhat profitable. As it is, I have been loosing money on these for the last 10 years I have been selling them.

As for a group buy.... If you guys are still interested, I can do $340.00 each kit if we can get at least 6 guys into it. That's $60.00 off for those that need a calculator... Sorry Peter L, I can't do 1/3... As you can see, my cost is more than that in the parts and machining... I’ll hold the $340.00 price from now until the end of June.

I will have to have a couple of weeks before I can ship anything due to needing to get the new brackets made and getting enough hardware ordered for the kits.

Brian.
    Time to bring this thread up again. I'm thinking of doing the install during my next annual in the spring, any changes in the offing Brian?
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

For Steve Pierce, are the pics available or did they get lost in a upgrade of the system??
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Time to bring this thread up again. I'm thinking of doing the install during my next annual in the spring, any changes in the offing Brian?
    No changes in the kit.. However, since my old machinist that used to make the parts passed I had to change to a different person... So we are re-evaluating the kit cost... It will be going up, just do not know how much yet...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So if I order now will I get the current price?

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in this STC as well. I’m curious as to what the new cost will be.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    For Steve Pierce, are the pics available or did they get lost in a upgrade of the system??
    Which post is missing pictures, I will look and see what I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Update,

Have new control wheels, ordered enough pulleys for two kits, need to get a few more items and then I will have the two kits ready in probably a week...

Now, here is the biggie... Priced everything out, the new retail will go up to $525.00... I can do 6 sets at $475.00 for .org members...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in for one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Steve's Rudder Trim

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(bri) View Post
    Update,

Have new control wheels, ordered enough pulleys for two kits, need to get a few more items and then I will have the two kits ready in probably a week...

Now, here is the biggie... Priced everything out, the new retail will go up to $525.00... I can do 6 sets at $475.00 for .org members...

Brian
    I’ll take one too!

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Lifetime EAA member