Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weight and balance issue - experts check in

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weight and balance issue - experts check in

It's a new world here and personal insults are not appreciated and will get you banned. JohnW had lots of good information but had a lousy way of presenting it like some others on here from time to time. The ShortWing club site was poorly managed in this respect as the leadership never participated and at times considered it to be a thorn their side. They were troglodytes that preferred you ask a question by sending it to THE SHORT WING PIPER NEWS and waiting several months for an answer or if you were in hurry you could call the Club A&P-IA, DER, DAR, and maybe the munchkins in his hangar would give him the answer to relay to you.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-13-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert
    As a graduate engineer, and aviation carreer/enthusiast, I guess I've missed a lot in my life as I never heard or learned the definition, or pronunciation of " troglodytes".
    But on the other hand, most of friends don't believe I have a life beyond airplanes and aircraft systems.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troglodyte
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_Tomahawk

If you watch Kurt Russell in Bone Tomahawk, you'll remember several scenes the rest of your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had to look it up.
    Troglodyte means cave-dweller, from the Greek trogle "hole, mouse-hole" and dyein "go in, dive in", so literally "cave goer", "cave diver".

Post Thanks / Like

The thing all of us IAs need to remember, and communicate to our clients is that when we sign an annual we are taking responsibility for EVERYTHING that has been done to that aircraft since it got its Airworthiness certificate! We deal with the past, not the future! So, yes we have a responsibility to see that the Flight Manual (if required) and all applicable supplements are on the aircraft. They are required items just like the wings, tail, landing gear. We are Required to ensure there are no undocumented alterations. Airworthy means the aircraft meets Type Design or properly altered state, and is in condition for safe flight. If it takes an extra 10 hours to do that, bill the customer. If he isn't willing to pay you to do your job correctly, you don't need him as a customer. If you don't want to take the time to do the job right, then turn in your IA because you aren't fulfilling your responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The paper work portion is one area that an owner should really work through prior to annual. I know we are in a "Drop it off and pick it up when done" world but it really helps the owner become more intimate with his plane.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

There is certainly more to consider than most people realize (or want to pay for). I always drag my feet and try to find an excuse to avoid inspecting an airplane I haven’t ever inspected before. I enjoy doing the engine and airframe but checking compliance is long, boring and tedious endeavor full of things easy to overlook and I have missed some good ones. I have also had to make log entries and file 337’s thirty plus years after the work was done to make an aircraft “airworthy” so I guess I am not alone in missing things.

Post Thanks / Like

We all miss stuff on occasion. That's one of the problems, especially with ADs. They are written by lawyers and we, as mechanics are expected to be able to understand what they want. On the other hand, how many times have you looked at an airplane that the previous IA has signed off the Bendix Mag Switch AD year after year, but when you look, it's an ACS switch and that AD was never addressed! Makes you wonder about the quality of the rest of the stuff the previous guy did! I agree about 337s. I'd hate to count the number of Brackett Air Filter 337s that I've written up as "Work performed by person or persons unknown, inspected and found to comply . . ." Sometimes I think Repair Stations are worse than A&P/IAs however, they try and get away with "Work performed iaw applicable regulations see work order XXXX" no matter what they do.

When I was doing this full time, each time I did an annual on an aircraft (single engine, multi was more) I never saw before I charged an extra 10 hours just for document review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    It's a new world here and personal insults are not appreciated and will get you banned. JohnW had lots of good information but had a lousy way of presenting it like some others on here from time to time. The ShortWing club site was poorly managed in this respect as the leadership never participated and at times considered it to be a thorn their side. They were troglodytes that preferred you ask a question by sending it to THE SHORT WING PIPER NEWS and waiting several months for an answer or if you were in hurry you could call the Club A&P-IA, DER, DAR, and maybe the munchkins in his hangar would give him the answer to relay to you.
    During 1967 and on, I was called a "Yankee Industrialist Pig" while people used AK-47s to shoot holes in the planes I was working on. That kind of set the bar for the amount of criticism I can take. I never had a problem with John W "flaming me" because in moments of self assessment, I found that I mostly deserved it and plus it fell below the previously set bar for criticism that I can take.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth View Post
    During 1967 and on, I was called a "Yankee Industrialist Pig" while people used AK-47s to shoot holes in the planes I was working on. That kind of set the bar for the amount of criticism I can take. I never had a problem with John W "flaming me" because in moments of self assessment, I found that I mostly deserved it and plus it fell below the previously set bar for criticism that I can take.

Good Morning you all, this criticism bull**** goes to far especially on forums. I thought aviation is about being happy sharing good times, making new friends and asking questions no matter how stupid. I have come to conclusion that I'm terribly wrong!!. Really who enjoys getting yelled at in person or computer first am. I don't and many others don't. Many times been attacked on this site and I probably attacked back. People especially aviation industry jumps the gun without seeing the whole picture. Out of all the hobbies I have been in over the years. Still think aviation has one of the worst ego's out there.
    Anyhow One thing is certain days of common sense, handshake and a thank you are far gone.

Now back to your regular programming of W&B