Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Selector Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel Selector - changing

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas F View Post
    As this seems to be a pretty big topic, I thought I would add my recent experience. I had fuel dripping from the inverted flare/weather-head fitting to the fuel strainer inlet fitting. As it seems the old inverted flare weather-head fittings are prone to leaking. Rather than try to repair something that is likely just going to leak again, I elected to replace the inverted flare/weather-head fitting with new EATON NPT weather-head fittings and AN fittings between the fuel tank selector valve and the fuel strainer. When people expienece these leaks, why are they not replacing the old inverted flare fittings with AN fittings. The 37 degree AN fitting are not likely to allow a leak. More rhetorical questions, no answers needed.

I will be replaceing the other inlet fittings and lines to the fuel selector valve as I fly some fuel out of the tanks.

Out with the

In with the new

Lucas
    N5821H
    PA-16 Clipper, S/N:16-437

I would start by tearing all that out and run new fuel line and mount the selector where you can reach it. I would not fly that plane, even if its experimental I would not fly it like that. The long rod to the fuel selector is John Denver 2

This looks very dangerous to me, that selector takes a little force to get the bearings to move in in order to turn the selector, have you moved it or is it a BOTH selector and you never move it?

Last edited by PA-16; 03-14-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fuel Selector - changing

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    I would start by tearing all that out and run new fuel line and mount the selector where you can reach it. I would not fly that plane, even if its experimental I would not fly it like that. The long rod to the fuel selector is John Denver 2
    Easy there guy, Rome wasn't built in a day. I just bought the plane in December and don't even have the permanent registration yet. I thought this forum was supposed to be for respectful conversation and a place to provide useful information for the Short Wing Piper community. I learned a ton of information from the 25 pages of posts on this thread and was simply just trying to add to the conversation. Please avoid the disrespectful opinions or criticism if you don't have full context of the system/installation.

The header tank was removed and a R/H wing tank was installed via Field Approval in the late 1950's or 1960's. This is what conforms to its "properly altered state" per the FAA Form 337, Major Alteration/Field Approval. This fuel selector location is approximately the same location as when the header tank was installed. The rod that connects the handle to valve is the same one that connected them when the header tank was installed. They just cut it and welded a section in the middle. Is it perfect/ideal? Probably not. Does it work? Yes. Is it safe? I think so. Some FAA representative must have thought so. They signed off on it for the field approval. Its flown safely for decades like that.

Aside from that, does the airplane have its issues? Maybe. They all do. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Airworthiness issues? None that I am aware of, and if there are they are addressed immediately. As many people know, airplane ownership is constant journey with no ending. I'm just the care taker of this Clipper for now. It's my job to leave her better that I found her.

Lucas
    N5821H
    PA-16 Clipper, S/N: 16-427

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel Selector Repair

Lucas, you need a little bit thicker skin than that. I read that reply as an opinion of a fellow Shortwinger. Nothing disrespectful. We all share our opinions.
    (Just a side note from the peanut gallery

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

nothing disrespectful here - just an opinion and open discussion

I like the clear close up pics.
    At first I was not sure what I was looking at. that's just me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post

This looks very dangerous to me, that selector takes a little force to get the bearings to move in in order to turn the selector, have you moved it or is it a BOTH selector and you never move it?
    Like Lukas, when I put the right tank in I left the selector valve as it was originally and connected the right tank inlet where the nose tank inlet was. I did that on purpose to eliminate the convoluted right tank routing that causes problems in those installation where the valve is next to your left knee. Like Luks’s, mine was approved by the FAA and conforms to the airplanes properly altered state.

John Denver’s fuel valve was behind his shoulder. It was so screwed up he had to clamp a pair of vise grips on it to turn it.
    I don’t know what your issue with Clipper valve control is. That Clipper fuel valve arrangement is the way it came from the factory. There are no service bulletins, AD’s Placards other than Left-Nose-Off-Off. I Never have had a problem with mine in 2500+ hours of flying it. Plus I don’t have the long fuel line routing and issues with the right tank on takeoff or maneuvering that the PA20 and 22 has. It’s also easy to get to if need be. Worn detents and leaky valves is the major problems I see.
    Incidentally it’s not any different from hundreds of Cubs .
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 03-14-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Like Lukas, when I put the right tank in I left the selector valve as it was originally and connected the right tank inlet where the nose tank inlet was. I did that on purpose to eliminate the convoluted right tank routing that causes problems in those installation where the valve is next to your left knee. Like Luks’s, mine was approved by the FAA and conforms to the airplanes properly altered state.

John Denver’s fuel valve was behind his shoulder. It was so screwed up he had to clamp a pair of vise grips on it to turn it.
    I don’t know what your issue with Clipper valve control is. That Clipper fuel valve arrangement is the way it came from the factory. There are no service bulletins, AD’s Placards other than Left-Nose-Off-Off. I Never have had a problem with mine in 2500+ hours of flying it. Plus I don’t have the long fuel line routing and issues with the right tank on takeoff or maneuvering that the PA20 and 22 has. It’s also easy to get to if need be. Worn detents and leaky valves is the major problems I see.
    Incidentally it’s not any different from hundreds of Cubs .
    Gilbert,

Which tank/how did you install. It is my understanding that you can use a couple different PA-xx tanks for the right wing. From what I recall reading about my plane, is that they took a tank from some PA-xx airplane and installed and plumbed in the right wing. It only has one fuel line from the tank to the selector valve instead of 2 that tee together like the left tank has. I have the “Right Tank - Level Flight Only” restriction. I think there is something weird like the fuel tank outlet is at inboard/front of the tank or the outboard/aft of the tank. I have log books back to the factory, but they aren’t very detailed and am missing most of the 337 Forms. I am waiting until after my permanent registration comes before I order the information from the FAA.

I would love to get rid of the “Right Tank - Level Flight Only” restriction.

Lucas
    N5821H
    PA-16 Clipper, S/N: 16-437

Post Thanks / Like

I used a PA22 tank. I ran the front fuel one down the windshield post just like the left tank. I ran the rear fuel one down the post between the tight door and the rear window behind that trim piece. My airplane has interior uphostered panels that are velcrowed in. I ran the fuel line behind the panel below the widnow trim, behind the right front seat pane and below the door opening to a low point drain under the front seat on the out side of the belly and then to the right kick panel and up. I then tee'd it to the front fuel line and ran the line along the firewall to the selector valve that is in it's orinal location.
    Hope this make sense. I really wasn't that difficult except pulling part of the floor board to put the gascolator. Hope this makes sense. The rear fuel follows the same path as the Tripacer up to the tee at the front tank outlet.
    After doing that I ut aboutg 8 gallons in the left tank, put a gallon of gas in the right. Did steep turns and power on stalls until the engine quit. Landed on the left tank and drained abiout 1/2 pint of fuel out of the right tank. Problem solved. No worry about the right tank.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 03-14-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is also a nice, easy turning Allen valve not the old brass on brass fuel valve that needs servicing on a periodic basis to keep it turning freely. Everybody has an opinion, sometimes it matters how you deliver it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I used a PA22 tank. I ran the front fuel one down the windshield post just like the left tank. I ran the rear fuel one down the post between the tight door and the rear window behind that trim piece. My airplane has interior uphostered panels that are velcrowed in. I ran the fuel line behind the panel below the widnow trim, behind the right front seat pane and below the door opening to a low point drain under the front seat on the out side of the belly and then to the right kick panel and up. I then tee'd it to the front fuel line and ran the line along the firewall to the selector valve that is in it's orinal location.
    Hope this make sense. I really wasn't that difficult except pulling part of the floor board to put the gascolator. Hope this makes sense. The rear fuel follows the same path as the Tripacer up to the tee at the front tank outlet.
    After doing that I ut aboutg 8 gallons in the left tank, put a gallon of gas in the right. Did steep turns and power on stalls until the engine quit. Landed on the left tank and drained abiout 1/2 pint of fuel out of the right tank. Problem solved. No worry about the right tank.
    Gilbert,

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the run down. I will have to dig into mine sometime and figure out what tank I have and how it is plumbed, but I definitely only have one fuel line that comes from the tank to the selector valve.

Thank you!!!

Lucas
    N5821H

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    That is also a nice, easy turning Allen valve not the old brass on brass fuel valve that needs servicing on a periodic basis to keep it turning freely. Everybody has an opinion, sometimes it matters how you deliver it.
    Steve,

I agree. Its a smooth turning valve with good detents. I have no complaints with it.

Lucas
    N5821H