Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trimmer stc for PA18 gear modifications

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trimmer stc for PA18 gear modifications

Yes. Issues with how I do things. I like tools that create sparks and sharp shards of metal. Removal of the tube between the front gear leg mounts.....That would be hard on fabric, headliners and the spaghetti behind the instrument panel. But I think it could be done.. Just have to protect and direction of the sparks when grinding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trimmer stc for PA18 gear modifications

Quote Originally Posted by Prosaria View Post
    Totally doable. Remove the left wing, strip the fuselage from the rear door posts forwards and go to town. (Assuming you already have a PA20, converting to tailwheel would require more.)
    Removing the left wing if doing the left sea plane door at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to educate me here - the fabric that is stripped, can it go back on or will it have to be replaced? In this thread there was something done in the tail, was that part of the STC or were you doing something else?

Post Thanks / Like

There are good books out there from Poly Fiber and Superflight. Stewarts system offers instructional DVD's. You'll be adding fabric formers on the bottom side of the aircraft that are welded to the new tube between the front gear mounts. The formers will duplicate the original. The fabric will need to be removed on the belly, from the rear door post forward, under the right door former and left front door side under the window opening forward. The front floor board and floor boards under the seats come out. Good bit of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Removing the left wing if doing the left sea plane door at the same time.

You have to replace that vertical tube from the wing attach to the gear attach for the gear mod but not for the door mod. It would not be fun, but you could do the doors with the wings on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Really....my bad. Thought it was the other way around.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, just checked the instructions... Gear mod Step 2: If the aircraft is in airworthy/flying condition, the left wing must be removed. Step 19: The boot cowl should be loosened so that the sides can be pulled up to access the verticaltube from the left front gear fitting extending up to the wing hinge fitting. This tube must be replaced...

Post Thanks / Like

Ah....that tube was not easy to replace.
    My excuse...sometimers.

Post Thanks / Like

So... It sounds like the fabric can be salvaged. Just has to be removed and reattached.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to use some new fabric. You can not peel fabric off the tubing and then re glue it....it'll be loose. I don't believe it's possible to shrink fabric that has been painted. Cut the fabric back to a point where you have a straight line on the bottom/belly at a right angle to the longerons, just forward of a couple clusters. Say a few inches in front of the cargo door on the left side front door post. And a few inches forward of the right rear door post. You'll add new fabric forward. Your glue joint and fabric tape will be between the clusters and make a better line. When you shrink down the new fabric it will pull the old fabric tight. I can see doing this with four pieces of fabric. One piece for the belly to the back edge of the boot cowl, from the bottom right door former to the longeron, and from the left window down to the longeron, around the left front door former and to the new tube between the front left gear mount to front wing spar mount. The fourth piece will be at the left front wing spar/former. Has the service bulletin on the door former sheet metal been accomplished? If not....good time to do it..