Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Aerovonics AV-30 AI and DG. Promising tech!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Aerovonics AV-30 AI and DG. Promising tech!

I don't have a vacuum system in my Pacer, so I've been looking at electric alternatives for an AI and DG to do basic IFR flight. To me, for my 30K airplane, the Garmin G5, Dynon D10/D100 and Aspen are just all too expensive and depending on how you slice it, should really be hooked into a WAAS receiver. Plus, I really have no interest in doing LPV approaches to mins in a single engine airplane. I do enough of that stuff at work.

While at Airventure, I came across Aerovonics. It's promising technology, that seems cost effective and a lot more reliable then our current vacuum system instruments.

STC and Experimental versions are targeted at $1595. Seems they aren't trying to gouge the certified crowd.

You can setup 2 units. 1 as an AI and 1 as a DG.

What I found awesome was, For the DG it's non slaved. They are doing this so it's a drop in replacement for existing equipment. No having to add extra antenna's or hook into a GPS. Just drop it in and hook it up to your electrical bus. No major panel mods which I thought was pretty cool.

You do have the option to via an RS-232 for the DG unit to act as a repeater for GPS data. If you have an older KLN or Garmin unit it should be compatible and act as a display for your Nav data.

If you think this could even possibly be something in your future, PLEASE send them a quick email through their web site asking them to add the PA-20 and PA-22's to the AML for the STC. I'm trying to get as many people possible to email them, so we are included. IMO I think it's great tech and hopefully makes it through the certification process.

https://aerovonics.com/av-30

cr=w_800,h_500,a_cc (1).jpgcr=w_800,h_500,a_cc.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Aerovonics AV-30 AI and DG. Promising tech!

Are the STC'd or have some other certification. Technology is ever evolving.

Post Thanks / Like

They are in development. Experimental this year and STC version next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Aerovonics AV-30 AI and DG. Promising tech!

Quote Originally Posted by siouxpilot77 View Post
    I don't have a vacuum system in my Pacer, so I've been looking at electric alternatives for an AI and DG to do basic IFR flight. To me, for my 30K airplane, the Garmin G5, Dynon D10/D100 and Aspen are just all too expensive and depending on how you slice it, should really be hooked into a WAAS receiver. Plus, I really have no interest in doing LPV approaches to mins in a single engine airplane. I do enough of that stuff at work.

While at Airventure, I came across Aerovonics. It's promising technology, that seems cost effective and a lot more reliable then our current vacuum system instruments.

STC and Experimental versions are targeted at $1595. Seems they aren't trying to gouge the certified crowd.

You can setup 2 units. 1 as an AI and 1 as a DG.

What I found awesome was, For the DG it's non slaved. They are doing this so it's a drop in replacement for existing equipment. No having to add extra antenna's or hook into a GPS. Just drop it in and hook it up to your electrical bus. No major panel mods which I thought was pretty cool.

You do have the option to via an RS-232 for the DG unit to act as a repeater for GPS data. If you have an older KLN or Garmin unit it should be compatible and act as a display for your Nav data.

If you think this could even possibly be something in your future, PLEASE send them a quick email through their web site asking them to add the PA-20 and PA-22's to the AML for the STC. I'm trying to get as many people possible to email them, so we are included. IMO I think it's great tech and hopefully makes it through the certification process.

https://aerovonics.com/av-30

I installed a GRT Mini X in my pacer and removed the vacuum system. This system has synthetic vision, turn coordinator and magnetic compass and wind vector/speed. It is capable of AOA but requires a probe. The GRT is not STC'd, however a field approval was very easy to obtain. I would gladly share the documentation.
    IMG_0886.jpg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Last edited by efrench; 08-05-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Was it approve for IFR flight or only for reference VFR only.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Not IFR. VFR reference only. Truly not a primary instrument, however it is truly all I need. I maintained CAR3 minimums of a magnetic compass, airspeed and altimeter. I am very happy with the addition. I have practiced under the hood and would feel very comfortable if I needed to do an IMC 180 or marginal conditions. This unit also has an integral GPS and a CDI indicator. However I am still flying the magenta line on Foreflight for the routes.

Post Thanks / Like

New offering from Dynon.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...clickkey=94789
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 08-06-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Saw that at the show as well. It’s a very nice unit, and I really like how it has a mount for a 3” instrument hole on your panel. Great idea since you don’t want you AI flopping around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I had the D1 it was OK but, too touchy for me.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

efrench,

Can you share that documentation with me for your mini X ?

I'm looking at the mini-GA as well. Did you hook the mini X into your pitot static?

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    I installed a GRT Mini X in my pacer and removed the vacuum system. This system has synthetic vision, turn coordinator and magnetic compass and wind vector/speed. It is capable of AOA but requires a probe. The GRT is not STC'd, however a field approval was very easy to obtain. I would gladly share the documentation.
    IMG_0886.jpg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app