Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnetic Particle Inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Magnetic Particle Inspection

Kind of a shame. Magnaflux is a process like everything else an A&P does. Yes, there is liability....just like everything else. In my shop, I magnaflux all the time with a coil, aerosol can of solution, and black light which is the preferred method for bolt type inspections. 15-20 minutes for 4 forks at $85/hr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I need to call around, most engine machine shops use magnetic particle as do prop shops. I maintain 2 Tri-Pacers with original struts.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I tried Broadie's, Air Power, and Byam's. They all told me that they bring in "outside" inspectors for magnaflux inspections. They gave me the names/phone numbers of those inspectors, who gave me prices right around $250. I called Aircraft Engine & Accessories, they told me they are only 'certified' to do engine parts.

Blueshortwing, you do the magnetic particle inspection on 4 wing lift strut forks for under $25 ? Seems (to me) like you are dramatically under valuing your services!

SMO22, my math doesn't add up quite the same as yours, my plane is 60 yrs old, & has less than 3,000 hrs on the tach. It will take 20 yrs (at least) for me to put on the same number hours you do in 10 yrs. In my wildest dreams the best I can hope for is to be hobbling around the old folks home in 20 yrs. I am very comfortable with the airworthiness of my struts/forks. It takes about 2 hours of (leisurely) work to remove, inspect, and reinstall 2 struts per year. I am NOT disagreeing with anything you said, but any 2 people may fly their planes drastically different hours per year. It is wonderful that (so far) we live in a country where we can all make decisions (sort of) that we feel suit our particular situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul,
    J&J Airparts used to do magnaflux on airframe parts for me. But that was before they moved down to Pleasanton.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the lead, Don.

I'll give them a call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Watts View Post
    Steve, I tried Broadie's, Air Power, and Byam's. They all told me that they bring in "outside" inspectors for magnaflux inspections. They gave me the names/phone numbers of those inspectors, who gave me prices right around $250. I called Aircraft Engine & Accessories, they told me they are only 'certified' to do engine parts.

Blueshortwing, you do the magnetic particle inspection on 4 wing lift strut forks for under $25 ? Seems (to me) like you are dramatically under valuing your services!

SMO22, my math doesn't add up quite the same as yours, my plane is 60 yrs old, & has less than 3,000 hrs on the tach. It will take 20 yrs (at least) for me to put on the same number hours you do in 10 yrs. In my wildest dreams the best I can hope for is to be hobbling around the old folks home in 20 yrs. I am very comfortable with the airworthiness of my struts/forks. It takes about 2 hours of (leisurely) work to remove, inspect, and reinstall 2 struts per year. I am NOT disagreeing with anything you said, but any 2 people may fly their planes drastically different hours per year. It is wonderful that (so far) we live in a country where we can all make decisions (sort of) that we feel suit our particular situation.
    I don't understand what you mean, I did not say anything about how much you flew, I compared the cost of 4 new forks every 5 years starting today, 5 years from now and 10 years from now, at 100$ a fork that is $1200. total in just forks. $1200 compared to $2100 for a set of sealed struts with 5/8 forks that never need taken off and inspected.. if you plan on flying the plane 10 years from now.. $1200 and off on off on and off and back on the third time 10 years from now. Or pay $2100. today and install the new sealed struts and never take them off again. Nothing to do with how much you fly, has to do with price for 4 new forks 3 times compared to price of new sealed struts today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    I don't understand what you mean, I did not say anything about how much you flew, I compared the cost of 4 new forks every 5 years starting today, 5 years from now and 10 years from now, at 100$ a fork that is $1200. total in just forks. $1200 compared to $2100 for a set of sealed struts with 5/8 forks that never need taken off and inspected.. if you plan on flying the plane 10 years from now.. $1200 and off on off on and off and back on the third time 10 years from now. Or pay $2100. today and install the new sealed struts and never take them off again. Nothing to do with how much you fly, has to do with price for 4 new forks 3 times compared to price of new sealed struts today.
    The forks need to be magnafluxed every 500 hours not 5 years. The struts need to be punched every 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The forks need to be magnafluxed every 500 hours not 5 years. The struts need to be punched every 2 years.
    Thank you... I completely misread that. That would be lots of flying, I don't do more than about 75 a year, and am now looking for a 200 mph plane for those trips that take more than 2 hours. I don't think I could and sure don't want to sell my little shortwing, means even more money on another hanger. Fast is a whole lot more expensive and don't have a lot to spend.. I guess I need to start another thread on fast good inexpensive planes...

Post Thanks / Like

maybe you find someone willing to lend you their "fast" plane.
    How many of those trips do you plan to make in a year?

When you find that "fast, inexpensive plane" let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

It has to be a gas sipper to, 200mph on 7 gallons an hour

and plenty of room inside and a back seat door for mom to get in and out easy

no more than 50 grand, should be easy
    Last edited by SMO22; 01-11-2019 at 10:07 AM.