Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Talkeetna Fly-in 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Default Talkeetna Fly-in 2018

Looking for somewhere to fly weekend after Valdez?
    May 19th & 20th Talkeetna Alaska.

Trisha and I will be flipping Roadhouse sourdough pancakes Sunday morning and asking for donations to support our high school build a plane program.

The village strip is still mostly covered with sloppy snow and will most likely be unusable but I'll let you know if it firms up by then. Be sure to check flight service before landing the village strip.

They did some rework on the big runway with paved transient and more taxiways. Be sure to update your iDevices

IMG_6794.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Talkeetna Fly-in 2018

Snow mostly off the village strip at last. Been raining non stop for days though so the only thing flying happy about it are mosquitoes. I could hear ice crushing its way down the Susitna as I was taking the following foto.

Please note red cone X, one at each end of strip, will pull them off as soon as it firms up.

Rocket

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rocket!
    Thanks for the great tour of Talkeetna last Tuesday! Great to meet you and check out a few planes in the area. No, I won't make the fly-in this year, had to go back to California. Next year, my wife and I will stay at the Roadhouse after the Airman's Show and try and make the fly-in.
    Marty
    Stewart Systems
    Instructor/Trainer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marty57 View Post
    Hi Rocket!
    Thanks for the great tour of Talkeetna last Tuesday! Great to meet you and check out a few planes in the area. No, I won't make the fly-in this year, had to go back to California. Next year, my wife and I will stay at the Roadhouse after the Airman's Show and try and make the fly-in.
    Marty
    Stewart Systems
    Instructor/Trainer
    I heard the Boss say, hay my man is a pilot mechanic... That's my que to get up and introduce myself

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Talkeetna Fly-in 2018

Forgive me for cut and pasting my SC.org post...

lookijng like the the weather is trending for better this coming weekend!

For those of you who missed the Valdez show why don't you head up to Talkeetna this coming weekend, 19&20 of May.

The village strip is still closed and marked with red cone X'es on both ends. Should be NOTAM closed as well. We had a lot of snow this year which was great but it's late melting and combined rain has it softer then usual. The first googon to rut up the strip will have to run the gauntlet of Garlach WHEN THE RED CONES ARE OFF THE VILLAGE STRIP IT IS SAFE TO LAND.

image.jpg

I'll be flipping pancakes at the runway with the Raodhouse for the free feed on Sunday morning from 9:00 to 11:00 am

The big runway has been changed to 01/19 and had some added taxiways and paved parking so be sure to update your iDevices for taxi diagrams etc.

Hope to see you out here.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Flying was great, saterday I counted over 60 birds, then as I was driving back I decided to cross over to the new North ramp and it was full of aircraft also.

Fliped about 700 pancakes on Sunday morning!

lots of info on lace book about the gross weight contest.

The red cones are off the village strip and I just saw the first 185 land just a bit ago. Made my first wheel flight of the year a couple days ago, wasn't too bad

Rocket

image.jpg

Oh oh loook it's sideways isn't that cute :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Flying was great, saterday I counted over 60 birds, then as I was driving back I decided to cross over to the new North ramp and it was full of aircraft also.

Fliped about 700 pancakes on Sunday morning!

lots of info on lace book about the gross weight contest.

The red cones are off the village strip and I just saw the first 185 land just a bit ago. Made my first wheel flight of the year a couple days ago, wasn't too bad

Rocket

image.jpg

Oh oh loook it's sideways isn't that cute :/
    I would have loved to have been there to eat some of the pancakes. I had a good hamburger in Talkeetna a few years back, beautiful place. The town airport looked interesting and it is in town.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

In the middle of town! it was a busy day yesterday saw four different Pacers in and out, three of them being Don's Alaska Floats and Skis. Last I heard he had eleven pacers: floats wheels and wheel skis, he even keeps a tripacer for the directionally challenged like me

Most of the time we fly in and land from the south and take off to the south to keep from flying over main street just to keep the noise down to a dull roar. when the wind is more then say 15 knots then the takeoff and landing is into the wind.

We ask those who have not landed the Village strip to first land the big runway, come on over and walk the whole length of the strip so you know exactly what you are getting into. In the past the managers of the village strip have been leery of inviting people to land. I have to say I didn't understand it at first but I've seen a unhealthy handful of bad decisions since I've been flying in and out of here. A few days ago an experimental Cub landed between the red cone X'es; I mean WTF. Pilots, cant live with them, cant live without them

Just spell checking this and watched another Cub take off...

Was walking down the village strip and helped a friend with some Scott brake schooling yesterday. They returned the favor by snapping these as I took off:

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg