Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: South Texas and Hurricane Harvey

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: South Texas and Hurricane Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    Jim, I am assuming "our place" is Richmond, TX. It looks like you are in a pretty nasty area as well.
    Where were they flown from? Glad you folks are safe. My buddy up in cypress just emailed he has
    3" water on the first floor and 2-3 more days of what has been coming down.

Yes Andy you are correct it is pretty nasty here, X09 is our identifier. Thank you so much for the concern. Our planes were flown out of PT McCambell which is within 20 miles of Rockport. Rockport had sustained winds of 130 MPH and gust to 160. That is some bad sheet.
    Our Air Park is pretty high. We have had 18" of rain in the last 48 hours. The East side and Houston has had around 24"-26" in the last 48 hours. This storm is supposed to stay around for another 4 days or so. I really hope our place is high enough to handle the forecast rain. At least we should not have the high winds that others have had. At this time nobody really knows what the storm is going to do. Yea they are trying to guess the outcome.
    Thanks so much,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You guys be safe, hangers and apartments up here if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have a soft spot for Rockport. We have spent many nights at the Light House Inn, camping at Goose Island and we have flown into Mustang Beach. I saw the pictures from Rockport and it looks like the airport was destroyed along with the rest of the town. I am sorry you guys have to suffer through it all. We got about 3 to 5 inches of rain in the Austin are and a little wind.

Theo

Post Thanks / Like

T 41 high and dry . Would like to hear news on Jim Hayden in Fulshear Tx.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just got our power back at home on Friday, internet back yesterday. Thank you everyone for your concern and prayers. This area is torn up pretty well, but not as bad as Rockport, and we missed the severe flooding of the Houston area. Most people are getting power now, with a few rural areas still remaining for this week. Most of us are trying to do some work, but mostly helping our friends and neighbors clean up the extensive trees, tree limbs, and debris, loss of roofing, and downed power lines.
    Our schools lost roofing and had water damage, but hope to be open again in another week. Nearly every home or business has had damage in some way. There is an army of utility trucks, technicians, equipment, and support services here. All in all everyone is pitching in very well helping others with needs. There has been a constant buzz of chain saws, mounds of limbs piled up near roadways, and much much more to do.
    My son has helped me tremendously, as we built a wall and entry to replace my shop door. and get things back in some order at the airport. This storm dealt us a blow, but we will work together, bounce back, and count our blessings. The flooded areas are much worse off than we are. Thank you, again for your calls and offers for support.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear from you Lou. Sounds like lots of hard work ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

I've cleaned a lot of my mess in the hangar. 10" of water. Removed, cleaned, inspected, repacked, and reinstalled 14 tires and wheels. Took my box of Clipper instruments to the instrument shop. Hoping to save my Miller Syncrowave 180. More cleaning. I'm tired.
    Last edited by Clayton Harper; 09-06-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

"Removed, cleaned, inspected, repacked, and reinstalled 14 tires and wheels."

Dang Clayton I knew you had a Clipper and a Pacer. I didn't realize you also had a 747. Must be a sight to see it leave Wolfe Airpark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was wondering about the whee1s and what about between the wheel and the bearing races? Seen corrosion there before from dissimilar metal corrosion on magnesium wheels mostly but I guess in the right conditions aluminum would do the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Clayton, did you find anything in those bearings that would have been a problem later? I'm just curious as all the boat trailers seem to keep going after many dirty, even salty water dunkings, then neglected for years. Maybe boat trailer hubs do a better job at keeping out the water, or....