Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve's Rudder Trim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Steve's Rudder Trim

The rudder trim is on my list..... Sure would like to install an aero trim system on the rudder. The kit (have a new kit...six yrs old now) is is stc'd for non Vee tail Bonanzas and a Mooney M20 rudders. I'd like to add the rudder tab using the present trailing edge adding a bit of structure making the a tab like you see on M4/5/7. Cessna 185 and others. Is that doable...how would it be made legal?
    Mark M,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post

Any other questions post them here and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

Brian.
    Brian, looks like there maybe lots of owners that may wish to install this trim system. Would you consider a group discount if we can get 10 or more orders in? And if the answer is yes, what would be the price that would work? 1/3 off? ;-)

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Peter asked the big question but I have one also. I've got the Univair conversion with dual toe brakes, will it work okay with those?

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Brian, looks like there maybe lots of owners that may wish to install this trim system. Would you consider a group discount if we can get 10 or more orders in? And if the answer is yes, what would be the price that would work? 1/3 off? ;-)

Peter
    I haven't sold 10 sets in the last 5 years.... LOL

Well, Peter asked the big question but I have one also. I've got the Univair conversion with dual toe brakes, will it work okay with those?

Jim

It will work.... Our Pacer has Univair dual brakes... The system taps into the same location where your rudder cables attach to the control horn by way of an AN111 cable bushing. The cables are left long so you install the system, adjust to within 1 inch of the rudder cable attach bolt, crimp on the bushing and trim off the excess cable. The 1 inch gives you your spring tension. So the system will work with Stock, Univair, Williams and any other setup…

It is funny the time this subject has come up.... We are literally right in the middle of an update to the STC. I am upping the cable size to 3/32 and changing the hard to find 1 inch pulleys to MS 24566-1B ball bearing pulleys that are 1.25 inch. With the pulley change, I also have to change two of my brackets slightly.

Now here is the big one…. I spent all morning figuring out my cost on the rudder trim system because we have not done so in over 10 years… Lots of research and digging through old files…I figured out that with the 1 inch pulleys I have a total parts cost of $250.52… With the new pulleys I will have $282.02 into parts. This DOES NOT include my time in assembling the kits and doing the paperwork. With the exception of the engine conversion STC, this one costs me the most to produce. I really need to get at least $400.00 retail each kit to make it somewhat profitable. As it is, I have been loosing money on these for the last 10 years I have been selling them.

As for a group buy.... If you guys are still interested, I can do $340.00 each kit if we can get at least 6 guys into it. That's $60.00 off for those that need a calculator... Sorry Peter L, I can't do 1/3... As you can see, my cost is more than that in the parts and machining... I’ll hold the $340.00 price from now until the end of June.

I will have to have a couple of weeks before I can ship anything due to needing to get the new brackets made and getting enough hardware ordered for the kits.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,
    I'll order a rudder trim kit....charge my card....
    Thanks
    Mark M.
    Platinum Ak.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll hold the $340.00 price from now until the end of June.
    Brian,
    Do you need a copy of this thread included with the check? Can we throw in a discount on a gascolator and skylight as a package deal with the order?
    We're ready to go broke saving money on this end...
    Thanx!
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Brian,
    I'll order a rudder trim kit....charge my card....
    Thanks
    Mark M.
    Platinum Ak.

I'm starting a name list from this thread, you are now on it...

cammons3

Re: Steve's Rudder Trim

I’ll hold the $340.00 price from now until the end of June.
    Brian,
    Do you need a copy of this thread included with the check? Can we throw in a discount on a gascolator and skylight as a package deal with the order?
    We're ready to go broke saving money on this end...
    Thanx!
    No need to waste that much ink.... Your on the "list"...
    I will add any call in orders as it progresses as well...

I will need a e-mail with aircraft details (N-number and serial number) plus your name and address for the paperwork.

brian@stevesaircraft.com

Thanks guys.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in for an order on the Trim System.
    Will send an email with the aircraft details.

Regards,
    Bryan.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in as well!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm subscribed. Will chime in when we get to 6.