Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just going to leave this here....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Just going to leave this here....

I love my Tri-Pacer. 31D has been a faithful friend even though I wish I spent more time with her. The drive by pilots at fly-ins are always entertaining. I just remember that at the end of the day I'm still pulling up to the hold-short for take-off while they are waiting to get out of the parking lot. Each time of find myself thinking of moving on to something faster, more modern and carries more, I find myself pulled back to the shortwing. Only thing I feel bad about, is that I know in the future I'll be looking for a Pacer so I can do more backcountry work than I can with the Tri-Pacer. I'll be faced with the tough choice of leaving 31D behind or spending $$ I may not have to convert her to a taildragger. Touch choices right? Its good to be a Shortwinger.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah they usually laugh while chewing on a granola bar when you taxi into camp. Until you and two buddies jump out and unpack a four man tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses, hibachi, and a cooler full of steaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I’d still love a Cub, but I don’t think I’ll get rid of the Pacer as it’s such a great family plane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    I read that blog a few days ago.... And I realize I only have about 7 hrs in mine, but when I first saw it, it was really love at first sight. Oops... should had a better pre-buy! It's been a learning experience, to say the least, but I still don't regret it. (And maybe one of these days it'll actually get back in the air again....)

In doing research, before & after my purchase, it came to this noobie's attention that disparaging comments are almost always made by... people who have never flown a short-wing. 'Nuf said.
    Prebuy? What’s that? Lol I saw mine, met with the owner and bought it. Kidding kind of. It had a fresh annual by someone I knew. I find most pilots that don’t like stools never had one or even been in one. The 3 guys I know that own one have owned for at least 20 years two of which are A&Ps.

Post Thanks / Like

AOPA's email from last week had a link to a nice blog post about a fairly super Pacer...

https://blog.aopa.org/aopa/2018/11/2...n=181129epilot

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=...Only thing I feel bad about, is that I know in the future I'll be looking for a Pacer so I can do more backcountry work than I can with the Tri-Pacer. I'll be faced with the tough choice of leaving 31D behind or spending $$ I may not have to convert her to a taildragger. Touch choices right? Its good to be a Shortwinger.[/QUOTE]

Dont give up on the Tri-Pacer for backcountry. The 6x6 nosewheel does a good job if you are landing on a prepared surface. I spent a day following an experimental Super Cub and a kitfox around the backcountry here in Idaho. They both had tundra tires and there was only one airstrip we landed on that I wouldn't go to again. We spent an hour picking up fist sized rocks and throwing them off the strip. The Tri-Pacer did fine, but I dont feel the need to land on rocks just to say I can. If you keep the Tri-Pacer light and use good STOL techniques, you can go many places. If I decide I want to be able to land wherever and whenever the mood strikes, I will learn to fly helicopters!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want rough, a Pacer with big tires is awesome. If you want super soft, those big tires might also be pretty awesome. But for a lot of accessible backcountry, the Tripacer is pretty darn capable.

Mine has 8.50x6 mains.

Post Thanks / Like

great picture Troy, the widely experienced AP/IA/CFI on the field here ( 44N ) says that if the field is too rough for an 8.50-6, it's time to pick a better field... Donn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    great picture Troy, the widely experienced AP/IA/CFI on the field here ( 44N ) says that if the field is too rough for an 8.50-6, it's time to pick a better field... Donn
    Sounds like that could be fit me pretty close.......
    "Progress is our most important problem"