Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your name?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your name?

I've been wondering about some of the names people select to identify themselves on this forum instead of their real names and wonder if anyone would be willing to say why they chose that name and what it might mean!
    Please also share why you chose not to use the name your mother or father or both gave you.
    Just curious

Last edited by Steve Pierce; 10-06-2017 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Link actual video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's your name?

No worries Gilbert......there are literally thousands of John's around, so to distinguish my name from the rest, I use the nickname my Dad gave me when I was kid, "Curly"
    Don't know if you noticed when we met in 2010 but I have my mothers hair, (curly and going grey) while I have two younger brothers who got Dads genes and are as bald as badgers!

Post Thanks / Like

Curly
    when i opened the door in response to a knock and saw you standing there I knew immediately who you were by your cirly hair. No introduction was necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert,
    I have gone by Wyandot Jim in Cowboy Action Shooting/SASS competition since 2000. I grew up in Wyandot County Ohio which was the last home of the Wyandot Indians in Ohio. They were moved from Ohio to the reservations in MO. and OK. Their last encampment in Ohio was in the town I lived in. I know it isn't very airplaneie, Real name Jim Hayden, well wifie has called me other names I have had to answer to

Post Thanks / Like

My name is Dennis. I have gone by Denny all my life except for my sister who calls me Den-boy. My mother went by her middle name (even on all legal documents) she never liked her first name and at a young age gave everyone her middle name, she was 93 when one of my older brothers found out he did not know her real name!!!! Runs in the family, my uncle went by Jack (nickname for John). But John was his middle name, his given first name was Michael; he did not like it and did as my mother did and went to John. The only reason I knew my mother's real name is 40 years ago I was going to visit Uncle Jack and wanted his phone number; that is when my mother fessed up to the family name change game!!! It is a twisted web we weave!
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

I had never been on a site like this before (or since for that matter), and my natural caution told me it would be easier, if I didn't like it, to get out-- so I didn't use my name.
    I chose something that doesn't exist-- a 59pacer!
    Now I can't think why I would want to get out as hardly a day goes by when I don't log in.
    I can pm anyone I need to, or reply to a pm, and I sign those with my name.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had to put a name in our family cat was helping by walking back and to across my computer keyboard, for attention of course. His name was Tigger, given to him by the vets office that rescued him from the street but I always called him Allycat and he never seemed to mind. He is now in our pet cemetery but will be remembered every time I log on.

Allycat

Post Thanks / Like

In the 80s I was toying with the idea of doing some charter fishing on the middle/lower Potomac River. I obtained my Coast Guard Masters License and also started a small tackle making business(all part time). In searching for a name for this endeavor and listening to the radio a favorite band was playing Dr. Hook. A perfect name for the boat and business I thought. The name stuck and my pickup still displays the Dr. Hook vanity plate and I am fishing from the Dr. Hook III. I decided that the charter business sucked after taking out a drunken bachelor party and have just fished for fun ever since. John Estevez

Post Thanks / Like

Smcnutt as my last name is McNutt and my first name is Sandy. However, people often assume that Sandy is a female rather than a male name so to avoid the confusion I just used S. Kind of "a boy named Sue" sort of thing. Actually, Sandy is a nickname for my legal name of Alexander but I've gone by Sandy since before I can remember. As a kindergartener I'm sure it was easier to write but I always had to explain why Sandy when the class roster listed Alexander. Sandy is a Scottish nickname for Alexander - the xander part slurs into sandy once you drink enough scotch. That explanation typically branded me a smart ass from the first day of school.

My wife said that when we met she never knew what to call me as friends & family often called me by several different nicknames and variations that I've been given over the years. Fortunately for me she still called me...and I almost always answer.

I was also a little reluctant to use my exact name on an online forum - kind of a "big brother is watching" sort of thing. Not that Smcnutt is really that cryptic.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago when my son was probably 5 or 6 my wife was setting up an account on a website for me. They had suggestions for how to choose a user name: favorite color, car you drive, etc. My son came up with bluejeepdad; I've used it ever since.

Tim