Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

Paid Eddie Trimmer a visit today. Bought two additional flap bell cranks and all the parts associated with the flap actuation assembly.. got the final details to do the STC drawings for him. He sounded upbeat and believes the wing STC will be approved in October or November after the FAA test flight of a PA20/22 with the modifications that were done 15 years ago under a field approval.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

Help..... need some advice.

I've finally resumed work on the wings. Ribs are installed....outboard tank bay rib/s not positioned or secured yet. Wings trammeled. Installed the left wing tank, installed the flap hinges. This is where I've run into a problem. I'm installing Dakota Cub 24 gallon tanks. The center line distance between the inner and outer tank bay ribs as detailed in the Dakota Cub drawings is 42". Tank bay covers are 42"... flap hinge mounting bracket occupies the same space as the wing rib. The other issue is the 3/8" aluminum channel gussets can not be installed on the outer tank bay rib due to the stock location of the next wing rib outboard. I'm thinking about removing the portion of the flap bracket that interferes with the rib. Or moving the tank bay rib inboard to the drag strut just outboard of the fuel tank. Shorten the tank bay cover to fit...which isn't a big deal as I have to make modifications to the tank bay leading edge skin and modify the false spar tank bay piece. Dakota Cub sent me PA 12 false spar tank bay pieces. I'll cut off the false spar portion and attach the top portion to the correct false spar. Then to do way with the 3/8" aluminum channel gussets. Install .020" aluminum on the outer tank bay rib and the next rib outboard.

The second problem I can see is installing the fuel tank after cover and paint. There is no way to get at the 3/16" bolt for the tube that passes through the tank. The only option I can see to get at the fastener is to install a grommet on the bottom side of the fabric... possibly something similar to Brian's inspection covers where the access is for the Aileron turn buckles...
    Thoughts?

Last edited by mmoyle; 10-07-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Description in first few pages and pictures on page 4 of how I did it.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...rge-Fuel-Tanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. Did you install an inspection cover on the bottom side of the wing to access the front outboard corner of the fuel tank? To get at that little bolt for the tube through the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Thanks Steve. Did you install an inspection cover on the bottom side of the wing to access the front outboard corner of the fuel tank? To get at that little bolt for the tube through the tank.

I put the grommets where Piper did. I leave the bolt lose enough that I can raise it up to slide the tank in.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, where does this piece go and what is the function - confused at this end...53d869300e83c33c76724da652355522.jpg
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

That's the tank bay false spar for a PA 12. Dakota Cub sent the wrong part. Will cut off the false spar and rivet on the correct false spar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is the Super Cub false spar.

Post Thanks / Like

Must be a double mistake by Dakota Cub... but this'll work out great. I don't need to fabricate and extend a PA22 tank bay false spar... I do need to do that with the leading edge tank bay skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Tank installation one of? Remove tomorrow. Start on rib gussets, moving a few rib braces to gain clearance for front fuel outlets.. build a flap and aileron jig....