Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eternal Alternator Choice Topic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Eternal Alternator Choice Topic

Just talked with 2 FSIs that stopped by to drop off my IA "Yellow Card" and asked about the reuse of approved 337s and they said in the past it was done but not anymore and a new field approval is needed for each aircraft regardless of same make model. It is accepted data though. I guess the IA exam is dated on a few questions.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

That's sad, I was hoping it was just our FSDO.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought that, unfortunately, they had changed that rule. I guess if you did it and they ever figured it out you could quote the IA test.

Post Thanks / Like

Frank, you might think of calling Baker's and run you conversation by them. FWIW, would be good correction in the course
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

They teach you how to pass the test, they do not write FARs or make up the test. There were several questions that Donna said yea in the real world where you came from you would answer this question differently, but on the test this is the answer. That is part of the value of Bakers, you get thru the test.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Latest info, I think as of late October, on generator to alternator for Tri Pacers:

Dear Mr. Benesh,

Thank you for contacting us about the BC400 Alternator system.

We are getting very close – the Flight Testing will be completed in about 10 days; after that the FAA will have 30 days in which to review the data. Unless there are unforeseen issues that arise during this period, that should position us for an STC grant/AML extension in early to middle December (and I suspect we would be able to ship units 2-3 weeks after that).

We very much appreciate your interest!

Kind Regards,

“TJ” Jenkins
    B&C Specialty Products
    123 E. 4th Street
    P.O. Box B
    Newton, KS 67114 USA
    Voice: 316-283-8000
    Fax: 316-283-7400

“Name: Steve Benesh
    Email: Stephenbenesh@sbcglobal.net
    Address: 449 Oak Crest Drive
    City: Oshkosh
    State: WI
    Zip Code / Postal Code: 54904
    Telephone 1: 9202162411
    Telephone 2:
    Aircraft Make: Piper
    Aircraft Model: PA22-150
    Engine Model: Lycoming O-320-A2B
    B & C Part #:
    Questions or Comments:
     : When I was at AirVenture last July, I recall a B&C booth representative saying you were working on an STC'd generator to alternator upgrade for the Piper PA22-150 Tri Pacer with front mounted oil cooler. If I understood him correctly, is this now available?”

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I actually spoke with them today on this. They told me they just finished flight tests and figure they should have the STC by January. It will include brackets to accommodate the stock front mounted oil cooler as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Spoke with Nathan Bainbridge of B&C Specialties at Oshkosh. Seems they had some issues with the oil cooler bracket for the alternator side. Seems the examples they have run into are all different. They came up with a neat solution where you can rotate the bracket to get the right alignment and then install the fasteners. Should have an STC shortly.
    20170726_123211.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Just installed the Denso 40 amp alternator via field approval. A big thank you to Andy for putting previous field approvals on his website, and to Homer Landreth for his meticulous paperwork.

But, I have a problem. Despite shielded 8 ga. wire and trying two different capacitors I cannot get rid of the background wine. Was not there before alternator install. Nothing else was changed.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

How did you wire it? I installed one a few years ago and no noise so far. Did you use a Denso 100211-1680 internal regulated or a different alternator? I didnt change any wiring or add any capacitors.

I ran 8 gauge from the alternator charging terminal to my ammeter exactly like the old generator wiring, no change there except it was a strait shot without going through the old voltage regulator on the firewall. The field I ran from the alternator to my master switch pin that the generator field wire connected to, no change there, except again strait from alternator no voltage regulator. I had to make one change from the old generator wiring, the generator supplied its own 12v field voltage to the master switch, the alternator needed that 12v from the battery, so I connected the old generator self generating 12v wire (generator end) to a 5 amp circuit breaker in the buss and left the other end connected to the master switch and that was it. Has worked fine with no noise.

If you mistaking connected the alternator field wire directly to a 5 amp breaker on your main buss, you will have to change that.. that will create a mess on your buss, voltage where it shouldn't be.
    Last edited by Tp109; 09-30-2017 at 07:07 PM.