Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: So Cal Shortwings

Post Thanks / Like

Default So Cal Shortwings

Came across this old website today. It's frozen in time from about 2010. I attended a few flyin events hosted by this group in years past. Some nice examples of Shortwings in these photos.

http://socalswpc.org/memberplanes.htm

http://socalswpc.org/
    Last edited by Brian; 12-03-2016 at 01:53 AM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So Cal Shortwings

Is that your bird on the member page?
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Came across this old website today. It's frozen in time from about 2010. I attended a few flyin events hosted by this group in years past. Some nice examples of Shortwings in these photos.

http://socalswpc.org/memberplanes.htm

http://socalswpc.org/
    The SoCal SWPC Chapter had become dormant, due to folks selling their planes, and the charter members getting up in years. In 2012, a few of us picked up the ball and with the blessings of the SoCal leaders, and formed one chapter for the entire state. For a while we had a lot of enthusiasm, and well attended events. But, within a year or so, we began to notice that it was the same group of folks that showed. For me, it was the same 4-5 SWP guys that I always flew with, so why did we need to hassle with beating the drum?
    The SWPC is pretty much dead in CA, and most SWP owners are on SWPO anyway. So, we can usually round up a pretty good crowd through FB and this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim. Yes that photo of my 22/20 was at an early get together of this group at Oceanside around 2003 - 2005 time frame, and hosted by the partners in the restored green tripacer who were based there. Tony was the president of the So Cal SWPC chapter and his yellow 22/20 was up for sale at the time this chapter disbanded around 2010. As Mark said many of these planes in the member section have resold to new owners. I was hoping by posting the link to this old web site to find out if the current owners are part of this group.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the old guys are selling their airplanes. Those buying them are not inclined to join the club. I can fully understand that as I dropped my membership a year ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I am finishing a 51 hour work layover at KONT. Before I turned in the rental car I drove over to Spruce. After picking up items for a friend I drove over to KAJO, no reason. I pull up and immediately see s PA-22 tying down. Wearing my SWPO hat of course I head over and talk to him for a few minutes. Don lives in Fallbrook (sp?) and flies and Ubers when he can to avoid traffic (he can walk from his house to his hangar.) He knew about the club issues and has stayed away from all short wing groups because of it. I told him to join in here. I did get a chance to snap a picture of us before Uber arrived but here is his '56:

Pretty cool.

Yesterday I drove to MHV and PMD to sightsee, lots of wind, didn't see a single airplane flying at any airport I passed.

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Gil...Frank and his cohorts have a lot to answer for!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a hangar on the West end at Corona in the mid 90's. (The end that goes underwater every few years)
    It was a busy airport back then. Lots of flight training ops, engine rebuilders, paint shops, and Bob's restaurant was always packed. I still fly over there to fuel up. Corona is usually the lowest cost AV gas in the LA basin. Nearby Chino is the same price but dealing with the tower and long taxi to the pumps makes KAJO the better choise for me.
    These photos were taken in December 2010. That winter was the last good rainfall So Cal saw up until this 2017 season ending now.
    The airport was built in a flood basin behind the nearby Prodo Dam resovior. That dam provides flood control to Orange County when the Santa Ana river is flowing heavy from the runoff of the mountains up around Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead. The Feds built a perimeter wall around the West end that extends along the North side of the field a few years before these photos were taken. The Corps of Engineers said that wall would prevent the airport from flooding. Instead it just slowed the water from draining out and prolonged the flooding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian; 06-12-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA