Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Student Help - PA22 - Charts, Pattern, and Airspeed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Student Help - PA22 - Charts, Pattern, and Airspeed

Windshield leaked on mine when i first got it. Check there as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

40 lb cube of water in aft baggage will help it actually stall. Try it. They will stall with some loadings, so you should get a feel for that behavior as well.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would find another CFI to help train you. It gives you a chance to fly more often and will be another viewpoint on what you are doing. Don't be surprised if advice is 180 out form the first one. When it comes to flaps, airspeed and other flying stuff what you will find is most anything you do will be fine until the day you need to do it different!!! You will figure out your home strip but when you go somewhere else you will have problems. I prefer one notch of flaps for takeoff (set before you start roll) if soft or short pop it into ground effect with full flaps. 70mph airspeed is fine for the pattern but slow down at final.
    One thing to point out is you want to learn how to make it all work flaps, no flaps, 1/2 flaps, dropping flaps, and popping flaps. This will not happen for a few hundred hours but that is what you should strive for. Same with pattern altitude 1500 to 100 ft, tight pattern the length of the runway or 747 pattern where you stop to get gas on final, airspeed 100 mph to stay ahead of the twin or 55mph to stay behind the cub. This will all come with time so be patient. Go fly with your dad or some other pilots when CFI is not around you will learn a lot from them.

Figure out what it takes to pass the test for your private license and concentrate on that!! The rest will come because one you start flying on your own the plane, mother nature and fate are all waiting for their turn to give you a huge dose of instruction!!!!!

DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

You wrote "I am going to replace the weather stripping on the door and see if that fixes the major leak. I know these old planes are less than airtight but foam + water = wet butt."

CFI wet butt might be a door seal too, but Pilot and CFI with wet seat points to the two rubber seals at the top of the windshield where the plexiglas curvature folds over the wing leading edge. These seals being hard or leaking is an open gap to get water inside the entire cockpit roof where it wil distribute itself just about anywhere it finds a clear path.. Look at these seals and if they are cracked or do not fare and touch (seal) the plexiglas through the entire curvature, replace them. They are available from Univair. The concept is simple, but getting a proper seal can sometimes be a bit elusive so some experienced help might be well worth finding.
    Last edited by Homer Landreth; 11-06-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a hose to it with someone on the inside to help spot the leak.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you telling me to get another CFI to work with, no can do. My CFI is a family friend and is teaching me for free, because I can not afford to fly if I had to pay for a CFI. Also if I found another CFI I would have to use the schools plane and not my dads, which adds cost. So financially finding another CFI is a no go; I am also a big believer of if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Me and my CFI get along great he is just trying to figure out why I can't seem to fly the pattern the same way every time. I will do like I did the other day and fly the pattern fine at KKSL(hard surface) and then I go back to our home strip (which is grass) and I completely drop the ball.

On the subject of the leak, we know the door seal is part of the problem. Because my dad went up there when it was pouring and found that the door does leak, but I am wondering if that windscreen seal also doesn't need replacing, since I found a lot of condensation on the upper part of the windscreen that I had to dry off before I flew the other day. I am tempted just to get some clear vinyl from the fabric store and make plastic seat covers and say f it. We are considering next year recovering the plane anyway, since the plane needs a new coat of paint, and what boob painted it green and cream I would like to know.

As for my license, I need to get that done, then figure out my next step. I know I need hours but I want to get my ATP so I can fly professionally, and I know now is a good time to do it because there is a shortage of ATP's and being female I know I can get a job once I just get my ratings and those pesky hours. One of our local university's has a really good Aviation program and I might look into that, and see how much of a dent that will be.

For those of you who are wondering here is what I fly.

14292250_10202154215775019_3379826655453877633_n.jpg
    Last edited by Freya Hester; 11-06-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Laid up recovering from bilateral inguinal hernia surgery is giving me time to read a lot of strings on this site. I too am a student pilot and now have 11 hours in my '56 PA22. This plane is awesome. The more I fly it the more I like it. To the point on this string, my CFI asked me to make a little 'panel stickie placard' with Vspeeds on it so my FAA check ride guy will have something to refer to. This same CFI has me trying all kinds of patterns and speeds, no-half-full flaps, etc., as elaborated by Denny, above. Coming in low with power, or sinking in short at idle, he's making me fly the plane. He always points to the air speed indicator just before we cross the fence and says "last look inside," and states the speed "70 mph", or whatever it is. My point is, I spent 55 hours training in C152/172' and the pattern "numbers" seemed to be very well defined and reinforced, with narrow constraints. Those numbers were reinforced on my written pre-solo exam. In the TP, there seems to be more forgiving constraints or broader ranges in those Vspeeds. Maybe it's just my perception and my previous CFI was more retentive on hitting the numbers. I believe I have better feel of the air speed and general seat of the pants feel of the flight envelope of my TP, as compared to the C planes I previously flew. But I did make a placard with Vspeeds and pattern guidelines.

Post Thanks / Like

Freya,
    Give yourself a break and some time in the plane...
    what did you say 13 hours? You are doing fine. Again, have FUN

Look at the windshield leak as well as you described. Make sure the vents are closed too.

AL

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Ms. Hester,
    I didn't suggest you change CFIs, just that the modern CFI (I'm working on mine now, soloed 5/17/1964) is a problem for these old airplanes. Free CFI is real good, next you need free A&P IA. I did have some thoughts on your problem. I found a little book I have enjoyed, that might allow you to fill in those blanks you have.
    Hey nice TriPacer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

in regards to your windshield leak
    in addition to Homer suggestion
    This has very likely been done to your Tripacer(there is an AD) but there is a nice picture in this Service Letter.
    http://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SL0362B.pdf
    it may be leaking here too. You have a zipper on the headliner by the Trim handle. perhaps if you unzipped it an put your hand in there to see if it is wet. if it is i would look both at the wing roots and the area in the Picture

IMHO- don't leave it leaking.fix it- water can be nasty to airplanes.i'e.the posts going up from the panel to the roof contain fuel lines, electrical wiring and the control cables for your ailerons- water getting in there isn't cool

hope this helps

Shane-o