Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticks in a Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stick conversion for PA-20/22

I got a one time stc for sticks in my Pacer a few years back. I would be surprised if you could get the ACO to go for without a lot testing, which I avoided. I have passed my drawings on to others who thought they might try for a multiple stc. As far as I know no one has succeded. I fabricated all my components. My design is based on the PA16, although it takes a lot of work to accomodated the flap system. I know of one guy in NY who also got a one time stc using my drawings, it may be his plane that is for sale. The FAA will not let you switch your plane to experimental to put sticks in. Study the 51% rule. Buy a Clipper, put a 150 in it and enjoy. My current stc project is in my third year working with the FAA, the only way to speed these projects up is to hire a DER, then you better have money. I do my own engineering and CAD work, which means the FAA engineers end up going over every number and that takes many months. I would like to see someone do this STC.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I got a one time stc for sticks in my Pacer a few years back. I would be surprised if you could get the ACO to go for without a lot testing, which I avoided. I have passed my drawings on to others who thought they might try for a multiple stc. As far as I know no one has succeded. I fabricated all my components. My design is based on the PA16, although it takes a lot of work to accomodated the flap system. I know of one guy in NY who also got a one time stc using my drawings, it may be his plane that is for sale. The FAA will not let you switch your plane to experimental to put sticks in. Study the 51% rule. Buy a Clipper, put a 150 in it and enjoy. My current stc project is in my third year working with the FAA, the only way to speed these projects up is to hire a DER, then you better have money. I do my own engineering and CAD work, which means the FAA engineers end up going over every number and that takes many months. I would like to see someone do this STC.
    I have flown in Steve's Stick Pacer and flown it in the air - thing of beauty- the control pressures and control harmony is PERFECT!- Since I owned my first Pacer well over 30yrs ago I have always thought a stick conversion would be great. I wonder if anyone has ever put Pacer Wings on a Clipper? Or otherwise put flaps on the Clipper - I know most would wonder why have Flaps on a Clipper - but when you are operating in very very short conditions -I definitely need my Pacer Flaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jeff, my latest project was to reinstall the left rear door that I removed 20 years ago. I got a stock door, stipped it, the rovered it with fabric, cutting 6 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jeff, my latest project was to reinstall the left rear door that I removed 20 years ago. I got a stock door, stipped it, the rovered it with fabric, cutting 6 pounds.
    Steve - Great!! Every ounce counts! I may look for an extra front door and do up a plex patroller door - probably save alittle wt and fun to see out. Any leads on an extra front door? Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

check the For Sale section
    here might be one door.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...-0290-for-sale

51-pa22

Post Thanks / Like

years ago there was an stc for sticks but that guy seems to have dissappeared but thats probably 10 years ago

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie Trimmer has his half yokes STC'd now, not quite the sticks you guys are talking about, but maybe someone would like those

Post Thanks / Like

The FAA will not let you switch your plane to experimental to put sticks in. Study the 51% rule.
    E-AB is only one area of Experimental, Exhibition would be what I'd expect to use if I was going to take a standard category and modify it.

Quotes from: http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert...rt/experiment/

Special airworthiness certificates may be issued in the experimental category for the following purposes:
    • Research and development: to conduct aircraft operations as a matter of research or to determine if an idea warrants further development. Typical uses for this certificate include new equipment installations, operating techniques, or new uses for aircraft.
    • Showing compliance with regulations: to show compliance to the airworthiness regulations when an applicant has revised the type certificate design data or has applied for a supplemental type certificate or field approval.
    • Crew training: for training the applicant’s flight crews in experimental aircraft for subsequent operation of aircraft being flight tested in type certificate programs or for production flight testing.
    • Exhibition: to exhibit an aircraft’s flight capabilities, performance, or unusual characteristics for air shows, motion pictures, television, and similar productions, and for the maintenance of exhibition flight proficiency.
    • Air racing: to operate an aircraft in air races, practice for air races, and to fly to and from racing events.
    • Market surveys: to conduct market surveys, sales demonstrations, and customer crew training for U.S. manufacturers of aircraft or engines.

Here is the E-AB:

Special airworthiness certificates may be issued in the experimental category for:
    • Operating amateur-built aircraft: to operate an amateur-built aircraft in which the major portion has been fabricated and assembled by persons for their own recreation or education.
    • Operating kit-built aircraft: to operate a primary category aircraft that was assembled by a person from a kit manufactured by the holder of a production certificate for that kit, without the supervision and quality control of the production certificate holder.
    • Operating light-sport aircraft: operating a light-sport aircraft that:
      • Has not been issued a U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate and does not meet the provisions of 14 CFR section 103.1. An experimental certificate will not be issued under this paragraph for these aircraft after January 31, 2008;
      • Has been assembled:
        • From an aircraft kit for which the applicant can provide the information required by 14 CFR section 21.193(e); and
        • In accordance with manufacturer's assembly instructions that meet applicable consensus standard; or

• Has been previously issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category under 14 CFR section 21.190.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds interesting. Have you talked to the FAA yet?

Is there a time limit for how long you can keep it in this catagory?

Good luck....hope it works!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All
    I know this is a way old thread but thought it would be a good place to post what a buddy of mine and I are doing down here in the land of koala bears and snapping geckos
    Strictly for the experimental fans of course!!!!!! (Thanks Stephen for your help in the early days of design)
    Anyways, it requires a rerouting of the aileron cables some, couple of extra pulley locations and pulleys for the redirection.
    Also have included a pic of our take on the rare trim handle situation.
    Cheers
    HunterJ

Sticks Final.jpgTrim handle final.jpg