Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

Coming along very nice.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

Bit more wing progress. Bit of machine work and welding to create a trammeling device to square the wing..wing now square. All ribs with the exception of the outer tank bay rib, a few leading edge ribs and wing tip ribs secured. Thinking about placing two ribs at the wing tip. Tying the two ribs together with a 3" wide strip of .032" adding a step to the outboard edge and leading edge to give the Crosswind STOL a flush look and to use nut plates to secure the rib.. I'm not real keen on using number four screws to secure the wing tip to the Dakota Cub wing rib.....may do something similar to the outer tank bay rib to create a flush look there as well. On the .032" thick choice... I can cut/counter sink for flush riveting to the ribs..and on the tank bay cover......can dimple and use flat head screw nut plates....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mmoyle; 04-17-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The flap return spring to the bellcrank was funky when I dissembled it. The drawing appears to differ from what I have. Think I'll make a plate similar to the flap cable turn buckle plates..

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    Looking GREAT

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    The flap return spring to the bellcrank was funky when I dissembled it. The drawing appears to differ from what I have. Think I'll make a plate similar to the flap cable turn buckle plates..

Mark,
    Look at the drawings of both the early and later models. The early airplanes had the cable/spring combination, later Piper used a longer spring and two plates. All the correct parts are in the drawings.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. I've looked at all the wing drawings on the CD. Looks like I have the wrong shackles...and I can't find shackles with longer ears. I need to make new cables.... I have a couple options. Install a spacer bushing between the shackle and the bellcrank or make a plate with a new thimble through the plate..... leaning towards the plate option to reduce the twisting load . Yesterday spoke with Eddie Trimmer... hopefully that call was the last time I'll ask about his wing STC... Eddie will be calling the DAR and told me his wing STC is the only or last STC project the DAR has on his plate for Eddie. Eddie did offer to send me 337's for the two aircraft they were approved on.... when I asked if he thought a 337 would be approved? Not! Hopefully Eddie will call this week with good news. Started assembling the right wing yesterday...a bit smarter...much easier to lay out drill hole locations for the flap and aileron hinge mounts... haven't drilled the outboard new/additional aileron hinges.
    I've ordered the leading edge cuff from Charlie Center...should receive the parts next week less the leading edge cuff metal...already have that. I've also requested the template for the VG location...line. Spent a bit of time on the supercub forum reading post/opinions on Charlie's set up.. quite a few folks believe they lost aileron authority near stall with and without VG's. I'm now thinking the aileron extension might be better than Eddie's stock aileron move and longer flap option? Should be allot of fun exploring how much is to much angle of attack on landing.....once the Pacer gets a set of either 29" or 31" bushweels.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity....is service bulletin #123 an issue? I don't recall interference between the front spar and aileron pulley bolt...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

Mark, I think you just need a couple little plates to sandwich on the top and bottom of the bellcrank. Put the shackle between the two plates (on the right side in my picture)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: scratch that, that's your spring with the shackle in it... mine was different.
    Last edited by Prosaria; 04-22-2017 at 01:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Out of curiosity....is service bulletin #123 an issue? I don't recall interference between the front spar and aileron pulley bolt...

Certainly doesn't hurt to file the relief. The last set of Pacer wings I built I did it just in case. Figured it was way easier to do now than after the fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prosaria View Post
    Mark, I think you just need a couple little plates to sandwich on the top and bottom of the bellcrank. Put the shackle between the two plates (on the right side in my picture)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: scratch that, that's your spring with the shackle in it... mine was different.
    He has the early short spring with a cable swedged to it. I would probably replace the spring, one parts replaces 3 plus and a shackle that is not readily available.