Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

Maybe I'll be get time now to work on the wings? Town was powerless Monday night until yesterday evening. Tried to build up another generator. Was given a pair of matching 50kW generators last week when the school closed for the summer. One with a supposedly good engine and a bad generator end and another with a good generator end and a bad engine...rod through the side of the block. The good engine ran about two hours before the bottom end started to fail Wednesday morning. Cleaned up the mess and waited for the John Deere mechanic. Nate arrived with four more injectors and a new high pressure fuel pump. The challenge for Nate was......he was required to call Northern Light in Seattle and John Deer after each test was completed. Tested lift pump pressure, tested return line restriction....assure both there wasn't another generator on the grid causing the generator to run backwards, that there wasn't a fume source in the building causing the generator to overspend.....BTW it only did that backwards.. Both Nate and I took a video to prove it... he was told not to make it public. They allowed him to change out one injector based upon a computer generated compression test. I'm like... why install one injector....we still haven't figured out what caused the previous injectors to fail.. John Deere has replaced 8 injectors at over $800 each. Nate did what he was told. Replaced number three injector. Started the engine. Shut it down...tried to start it again....it ran backwards. Now they're telling him to pull the fuel pump to check the input shaft seal and reinstall if the seal was good....wait a minute! The generator isn't making oil. I had shared the information one of our shortwing members, a John Deere expert "tloes"theory about the fuel pump creating the problem with Scott in Seattle. Neither Scott or John Deere want to believe the pump is causing the problem. I'm like how much does that pump cost? $1500. I'm like I'll pay for it....install it! Nate convinces Seattle...we need to change out that pump. So in between the fuel pump and the injectors is a fuel distributor/manifold. We need to disassemble it and make sure there isn't any debris in it.... Nate can't do it... it's not a John Deere serviceable part... B.S. I'll do it. Found a stuck check valve...and stuff? Reassembled with loctite 515. Nate found the torque specs somewhere. Put everything back together. Started...rechecked the return fuel flow rate. Now the generator is using nearly two gallon less fuel per hour than when it was first put online. Now Northern Lights wants me to become a distributor? In Platinum? I'll probably be the only customer. No! We want you to do the service work for Southwest Alaska all the way north to Prudhoe Bay. Umm... I'll think about it. My bride says do it...she'll come with me. I'm like mannnnn as if I don't have enough to do!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Start a company, get Nate to quit John Deere, hire Nate. Accept their offer. Send Nate, unless you want to fly him there. Consult with Nate on the phone. Charge them double.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncan View Post
    Start a company, get Nate to quit John Deere, hire Nate. Accept their offer. Send Nate, unless you want to fly him there. Consult with Nate on the phone. Charge them double.
    All ready established... Platinum Commercial Company. (PC Co) And another same name but ends in Aviation Services. The shop rates are extremely high in Alaska. The Deere folks charge $150 an hour... Cummins and Cat are more than that. I thought my rates were high at $114.50 an hour.... I recall $32 an hour when I was foreman at Diamond Reo... thought that hourly shop rate was to much back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Now you do need to get your bird finished so you can do the flyin and fixit gig and chargem for it lol. Glad you got power back. Now back to the regularly scheduled wing build.

Post Thanks / Like

The fella who installed and supported a lot of the big diesel emergency generators up on the NS passed on a year or so ago. I imagine he is missed. Crusty ole fella that I enjoyed working with on the few times our paths intersected. You need to add "North" to your commercial company name. Then it could be No PC Co...

Post Thanks / Like

My right seat ride today and tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

You flying right seat or left seat? Looks like fun to me.

Post Thanks / Like

MArk,
    i know where there is a really nice Roterway exp chopper for sale... you know, cause you don't have enough on your plate as it is.

I have had 85L drop off a couple of birds in front of the hanger in naknek a couple of times.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eskflyer View Post
    You flying right seat or left seat? Looks like fun to me.
    Right seat... It is a blast. This B model one is allot smoother than the A model. As Rocket says..."Frumpy" as hell yesterday morning with 20 knot cross winds. 8 more loads remaining for Cone Mountain...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    MArk,
    i know where there is a really nice Roterway exp chopper for sale... you know, cause you don't have enough on your plate as it is.

I have had 85L drop off a couple of birds in front of the hanger in naknek a couple of times.

Rocket
    Ha! I've thought about it...but around here you need a permit to land where I'd want to... like...like. There's a creek nobody has ever fished....no sand bars..can't get there by boat...and it isn't in walking distance.