Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

thanks for posting
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Had the pleasure of working on this 1955 chevy 3/4 ton pickup today. Water pump and installation of a fuel filter. The fact that it is the same age as my airplane gave me some perspective as to just how long this airplane has been around. 20180618_175936.jpg20180618_184550.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update. Still waiting on my parts coming from Lycon (that's a story for another time, doubt I'll use them again) so I did what I could on the nose bowl. I riveted some nutplates to little pieces of aluminum. Then using the adhesive that is used to install vortex generators, I glued them in place. I only did the seam where the two halves of the split bowl comes together. I'll have to wait until the motor is on to fit the bowl to the cowl.20180621_191409.jpg20180621_191416.jpg20180621_191427.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics, thanks for that close-up of an alternative fastening method.

Cool Chevy! That engine brings back memories... First time I drove on the road alone, legally, with my very new driver's license, to visit a girlfriend's house -- was in a '57 Chevy panel truck. I'm sure the same engine, 3 on the column, with a governor. (That truck actually went faster uphill than it could on a flat!)

For you VERY old farts out there, it was a former Singer Sewing Machine maintenance truck -- remember those? Yep, dark green, no side windows in the rear, only the two small ones in the rear doors.

PS: my older brothers discovered a twin-bed mattress would fit perfectly in the back....

Post Thanks / Like

While waiting for the last bits to trickle in, i did a few things with what did arrive.

Installed the new style crank gear, note the scallops. I initial torque of 125 in lbs., tap with a brass hammer, check with a .001 feeler gauge, all good! Final torque of 17 ft lbs. and bent the tang.

Next I installed the new style rod bolts onto the end caps. The rods where machined to accept the new style bolts, about $250 a rod. Not band when you realize they have to re hear treat the rod to normalize and temper it after machining.
    Put in the bearings and snugged the nuts down "moderately tight" as the book calls it. Whipped out the telescoping bore gauge on loan from my step pappy (I don't own a set cause I've no real use for them seaming as the last time I did this stuff was in trade school) and checked the I.D. of the bearing to the rod journal on the crank. All four where around .0032" - .0035" well within the tolerances set out in the book.
    Little bit of assembly goo on the bearings and torqued them on at 40 ft lbs.
    Also assembled the back end of the camshaft. The tach shaft is held with a pin and centered with a washer. Then the cam gear, slinger, tabs and bolts go on.
    Oh and just so you know, if you ever need a tach shaft for a narrow deck they run about $297. It must be real quality machine work cause that is some precision shafting.

Until I get the lifters and main bearings I don't have much left to do. Wife says I could clean and organize, but if I did that I'd never be able to find anything when I need it.20180628_172727.jpg20180628_173226.jpg20180628_180358.jpg20180626_201125.jpg20180628_191931.jpg20180629_161336.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Question for those who have installed a fuel flow meter. I recieved my CGR30-P on the mail yesterday. Looking at how to mount things and the flow meter has me a bit stumped. It says to mount with flexible hoses going in and out, and where I wanted to mount it (as pictured) does not seam to have enough room. Ideas?20180704_163313.jpg20180704_163512.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Also, for the manifold pressure sensor they say to put a very small hole in the line to keep fuel from getting up into the sensor. Anybody know what size hole?

Post Thanks / Like

There was a suggestion years ago to have a 0.060 hole in the Manifold pressure line at the low point
    in the line coming off the cylinder head connection. Can't remember why right now. It may have been
    for the same reason. Mine did not have it originally but I put one in when I read the document that
    suggested it.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

[QUOTE=JPerkins;110369]Question for those who have installed a fuel flow meter. I recieved my CGR30-P on the mail yesterday. Looking at how to mount things and the flow meter has me a bit stumped. It says to mount with flexible hoses going in and out, and where I wanted to mount it (as pictured) does not seam to have enough room. Ideas?

I mounted mine in that location...slightly inboard. Don’t recall how much clearance I had between the sender and the boot cowl. Straight edge from the firewall to the tube at the aft edge of the boot cowl will spell it out for you. And I called ECi to verify mounting it like this was OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by mmoyle; 07-04-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. They where fine with the hardline? That would make life much easier.