Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Split Nose Cowl Mod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Split Nose Cowl Mod?

Found my installation sheet that was wrote up for doing just the nose bowl mod...
    I have the drawings but they are not in a format that can be posted here...

Brian.

1. Remove nose bowl from aircraft.

2. Split the nose bowl at the horizontal mid point with a thin dremel tool cutter.

3. For bowls with a reinforcing edge channel, (example, PA-22) reference drawing number SA8-03 and fabricate item (B) doublers from .032 5052-0. For bowls without reinforcing edge channel, fabricate item (F) doublers from .032 5052-0.

4. For bowls with reinforcing channel, reference drawing number SA8-PD-01 (2) and contour doublers to fit outside lower cowl lips and rivet in place with AN 426-3 rivets. The doublers must protrude about 1 inch above split edge.

5. For bowls without reinforcing channel, reference drawing number SA8-PD-01 (1)
    and contour doublers to fit outside lower cowl lips from air inlet bead to outer edge. Rivet in place with AN 426-3 rivets. The doublers must protrude about 1 inch above split edge.

6. Reference drawing number SA8-PD-01 (3) and install ½ of hinge on centerline between center cutout, and air inlet cutouts of lower cowl.

7. For bowls with reinforcing bead, reference drawing number SA8-03 (A) fabricate steel strip and install in lower cowl reinforcing channel. Reference drawing SA8-PD-01 (2).

8. Temporarily assemble two halves together, reference drawing number SA8-03 (4). Make sure split is closed and bowl is true. Clamp units and back drill all nutplate locations through upper cowl and doublers. Assemble hinges with pivot pin, locate and back drill top hinge sections to upper cowl.

9. Split cowl and install all required nutplates to doublers, and top hinge sections to upper cowl, with AN 426-3 rivets of appropriate length. Enlarge holes in upper cowl to accept
    # 6 screws.

10. Reference drawing SA8-03 (E) and fabricate a left and right hinge pin from 1/8 rod. Left and right is determined by direction of lower leg. They have to protrude inboard.

11. Reference drawing SA8-03 (D) and fabricate two pin catches. Reference drawing SA8-PD-01 (3) and install with AN 426-3 rivets. The hinge pins may catch on original bead of beaded hole cutouts, a light contouring with a round file to allow pin passage may be required.

12. Reinstall cowling on aircraft. In future, cowling can be removed in two sections without removing propeller.

13. No basic weight change.

14. Record this alteration in maintenance records, and FAA form 337.

15. Reference Instructions for Continued Airworthiness for maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Thanks Brian I will copy those off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Brian is it possible I can get a copy of the drawings for the split cowl mod you mentioned? Maybe you could PM or email me them if that would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McDaver63 View Post
    Brian is it possible I can get a copy of the drawings for the split cowl mod you mentioned? Maybe you could PM or email me them if that would work.
    Referencing only the instructions for doing the bowl mod as I posted on post #11. The other instructions are from my engine STC and are basically a copy of the same drawings with different labels.

Drawing SA8-03 is really the only one you need... The SA8-PD-01 drawing is referencing the photos I posted on post #10.. If you look at that photo and label them from upper left is #1, upper right is #2, lower left #3, lower right #4..
    So, reading the directions when it says to reference SA8-PD-01 (1) you look at the upper left photo and that is the drawing and so on.

As for SA8-03 I have attached it here as a PDF since the CAD program I used for that drawing is an old one... Dimension's are reference only, I would make the part and then trim as necessary to fit your particular nose bowl...

Hope this helps..

Brian.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, I appreciate all the information on the mod that you posted. I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I split my fiberglass nose bowl similar to the pictures that Brian posted. I used 43.13 as a reference as Steve says.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Steve (stevesaircraft(Bri), I have a 22-160 and have been considering doing a split nose bowl myself. This looks like a very clean application. Might it be possible to obtain a copy of your STC for reference information to do my own split nose bowl?

Post Thanks / Like

I am also interested in this mod. I tried to contact Bill Havener but can't get ahold of him by phone. Does anyone have a 337 for this? My AI says we can use someone else's 337 as the "acceptable data".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Steve (stevesaircraft(Bri), I have a 22-160 and have been considering doing a split nose bowl myself. This looks like a very clean application. Might it be possible to obtain a copy of your STC for reference information to do my own split nose bowl?
    I do not know why I missed this question....
    Everything I have on the cowl mod has been posted on this thread... My STC is for the engine conversion and would not do any good for just the nose bowl modification..

Quote Originally Posted by avspecguy View Post
    I am also interested in this mod. I tried to contact Bill Havener but can't get ahold of him by phone. Does anyone have a 337 for this? My AI says we can use someone else's 337 as the "acceptable data".
    I do not know Bill Havener... You can use a previous 337 if available and do a follow on approval through your FSDO... I would also like to see any approved 337's... If I had one or two I might be able to convince the FAA that a separate STC based on my already approved modification would not need the testing that they seem to think is necessary..

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Split nose bowl 337
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-08-2018 at 04:18 PM.