Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Short Wing Pipers @ Oshkosh 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Short Wing Pipers @ Oshkosh 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer20 View Post
    I saw it too. Good looking plane, wish I could have caught up with them.
    Same here, I was usually on the FLO Volunteer tram but didn't see anybody around. Of course at 0630 you usually don't see many other folks besides photographers and spotters!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got up evey morning just after 5 am when the trash truck and port-a-potty truck came by, got a shower, made my morning coffee, went to Vicki's for breakfast and then meandered around Oshkosh going which ever way the wind blew me. Kinda based out of Dakota Cub a little since Lee could charge his phone and harass those guys instead of me. They were on the same ice cream schedule as us as well. It was a great week. met a lot of people and got to catch up with many more. The Tri-Pacer Vaughn Lovely brought was a true highlight, I took a ton of detailed pictures. Seeing 2 B29s in formation gave me goose bumps as well. No matter what is there I have fun but mostly because of the people. I always regret not seeing everyone. I am working on an area for Short Wings next year like the Cessna 195s, Helios etc. have. I think that would help to meet up with each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Short Wing Pipers @ Oshkosh 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I got up evey morning just after 5 am when the trash truck and port-a-potty truck came by, got a shower, made my morning coffee, went to Vicki's for breakfast and then meandered around Oshkosh going which ever way the wind blew me. Kinda based out of Dakota Cub a little since Lee could charge his phone and harass those guys instead of me. They were on the same ice cream schedule as us as well. It was a great week. met a lot of people and got to catch up with many more. The Tri-Pacer Vaughn Lovely brought was a true highlight, I took a ton of detailed pictures. Seeing 2 B29s in formation gave me goose bumps as well. No matter what is there I have fun but mostly because of the people. I always regret not seeing everyone. I am working on an area for Short Wings next year like the Cessna 195s, Helios etc. have. I think that would help to meet up with each other.
    That sounds like a good idea. I don't see why they shouldn't allow us to park in a group like they do for the 195's every year.

I think we had some of the best weather for Oshkosh that I've seen. No storms and not very much rain. It sounds like it was a record attendance for the week.

I really enjoyed the bomber day Saturday afternoon. And we finally got our ADS-B out decided and ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Which one did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like

Did any one get the low down at OSH on the Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B out solution. I have a pretty new GTX-327 Xponder (non squitter) and this looks like an out solution that's both affordable and easy to install. I don't care that this is Out only cause ADS-In solutions are cheap and easy to move from one plane to the next.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540911
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the GDL-82 and the new Navworx unit. functionally and installation almost the same, the Navworx does have WiFi for ADS-b In where as the Garmin is OUT only.
    for the time being either one would be a good choice. The Navworx still has a couple weeks before they get their official FAA sign off. Either box is ok, the garmin may be
    a little smaller in volume but possibly a bigger foot print in a thin case. I don't want ADS-b in as I already have Stratus, but I am weary of Garmin support down the road.
    FWIW
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Did everyone see the Uavionix ADSB solution that is a simple removal of the nav light and install a self contained new nav light, waas gps and usb out solution. Self configures itself and gets the transponder codes from the current transponder via it's transmission from the transponder antenna. Install time 8 minutes. use the same power wire as the nav light. certification pending for early next year. Cost est under 1000. Very cool if the gets certified. This company is not a just a new tech upstart in the business, they are the guys that are doing all the drone stuff and have already proven products. New innovation happening every day.
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad Uavionix ADSB didn't have a bigger antenna. I could work like a winglet.

Post Thanks / Like

The Garmin GDL-82 seems very straightforward and simple to install. We ordered one for the Tri-Pacer. It's UAT 978 Mhz and has a programmable anonymous mode, which is a plus to me. The only downside is that it's OUT only. You give it power, install a GPS receiver, and connect the unit in line to the existing transponder coax. We also ordered an L3 Lynx unit for the Comanche. We spent the entire week making our ADS-B decision and this is the best option for the money imho. In the Comanche the goal was to get ADS-B traffic & wx in the cockpit and eventually have a GPS navigator and get rid of the need for the iPad on our laps the whole flight. The price has come down considerably on the Lynx since its' introduction and it seemed like the best use of our money. All the other options either cost more or were missing something that we were looking for with the upgrade.
    Last edited by Zac Weidner; 08-01-2017 at 08:08 PM.