Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No yoke landing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No yoke landing

A friend and I flew my Pacer over the Cascade Mts. from Spokane, WA. to Arlington, WA. for the fly-in. sixty knot head winds at 9000 ft. (125mph indicated, GPS 65mph ground speed).
    When we flew back I told him OK, I flew over YOUR flying back.

We took off with a 1000 ft. rate of climb (sea level), he turned toward the Mts. adjusted trim, crossed his arms over his chest and flew home NO HANDS. Only slight course corrections with his feet, trim and a little power. YEA, I was impressed.

But, of course he has been flying these short wings for over 25 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No yoke landing

I would try to simulate a control failure from time to time in my colt
    I did however take over from one airport and land at another one 8 miles away, without touching the yoke. I used power rudder and trim. had a nice landing too.

I did try and simulate rudder failure by keeping my feet on the floor, a gust of wind came up and got a little squirrelly on landing. the next day I used all the controls on landing and my neighbor commented on the radio, "that was a much better landing than the one you did yesterday"!!!