Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jtex83 restoration.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jtex83 restoration.

While inspecting for SB 819 the only tube Ive found with pitting is the fwd Tube of the Rh door. Lh door fwd tube will need a repair where i got into it with a cut off wheel. Also the 1inch tube between the rear wing attach points is bowed with a dent just inbd of each cluster so it will need a repairs as well, the rear wing attach points are about a 1/4 inch to close together. Right now i am going through the fuselage working to get things square working off of the drawings. Also trying to get my welding hand back, its been a while.
    Question time. What filler rod did piper use during construction? I haven't seen it specified in the drawings. What do yall use now for Oxy acetylene welding? I'm guessing RG 60.

Post Thanks / Like

I used er70s on both torch and tig welds. Worked just fine for both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We use ER70 for TIG.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used a mild steel rod. Don't know the # (maybe Arco #7) but the welding supply shops did. With TIG I also use the ER70 but never tried in for Oxy. When I weld on a plane I get out the Oxy. I still have not gotten that new fangled TIG figured out

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used ER70S2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My step dad who is a welder that's welded on everything from bridges to battleships to nuclear power plants, said the er70s would be just fine for both. I used the torch on structural because I was more familiar with that process. TIGed the doors, then wished I'd have TIGed the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks yall. I've got a gas setup here at the shop so gonna go that route. I thought about taking it to work and and using the tig machine there but dont really want to drag it up there. Anyhow still working on trying to get things square. Also got my fuselage rotator done today. 20171021_181313.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

ER80S-D2 is what Mr. TIG, Wyatt Swaim, is recommending. I've used it and like it over ER70-2S. I flows better. Several companies can supply it, but this company had the best description.

Washington Alloy Company
    Products
    ER80S-D2
    Specifications
    AWS A5.28 Class ER80S-D2
    Description
    ER80S-D2 is designed to give high strength welds on high sulfur bearing (free-machining) steels or medium carbon steels. This wire contains additional amounts of manganese and silicon which, when alloyed with 0.50% molybdenum, produces weld deposits which have high ductility, excellent impact values and tensile strengths of approximately 100,000 psi. ER80S-D2 is commonly used on low carbon and low alloy steels such as AISI 4130 where tensile strengths provided by plain carbon steel wires are inadequate. A well balanced silicon content gives this wire superior arc stability, a low spatter level and a flat bead with excellent appearance. ER80S-D2 produces X-ray quality, porosity free welds even over dirt, rust or mill scale.
    Applications
    Farm implements, automotive parts, pipes, light-gauge steels, low alloy steels such as AISI 4130 and high yield steels such as T-1. Available in both MIG and TIG.
    Last edited by Clayton Harper; 10-22-2017 at 04:50 PM.