Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    So, why isn't anybody commenting? Do all of you ignore your weight and balance like I did? How many of you have weighed your planes in the last 3 or 4 years or so. 2020 was when ADSB became a mandate. 65 year old planes....I think you're all fat and don't want to admit it. Porky, porky, porky fat. Everybody just sort of within bounds and hoping for the best?? Come on, I want to know some real empty weights. I showed you mine...
    I like to know what the plane really weighs, but it is legal to do a calculated W&B. If I put my airplane on the scales it does not go in the aircraft records as it will surely gain about 50 lbs. I've never seen an airplane weigh less than the original W&B.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I like to know what the plane really weighs, but it is legal to do a calculated W&B. If I put my airplane on the scales it does not go in the aircraft records as it will surely gain about 50 lbs. I've never seen an airplane weigh less than the original W&B.
    Interesting...

Post Thanks / Like

So, why isn't anybody commenting? Do all of you ignore your weight and balance like I did? How many of you have weighed your planes in the last 3 or 4 years or so. 2020 was when ADSB became a mandate. 65 year old planes....I think you're all fat and don't want to admit it. Porky, porky, porky fat. Everybody just sort of within bounds and hoping for the best?? Come on, I want to know some real empty weights. I showed you mine...
    Well, I haven’t weighed 999vl, but previous owner did when he imported her from Canada (there she was cgirl). He had 1200 empty. That is what I use and keep my added lard under 800. When I finish the house for the wife we will begin the restoration and so no plans to weigh now. Did do what EAA Robert rossier suggested and have been practicing with aft cg limit. Boy she flares differently tail heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

3320Z was just weighed at 1219.5 but has many updates.
    Hope to see everyone at Oshkosh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mholton63 View Post
    3320Z was just weighed at 1219.5 but has many updates.
    Hope to see everyone at Oshkosh.
    Thank you. I'd like to understand your updates and compare them to mine, if it's convenient for us.

See you at OSH. I'll be camping next to my plane.

I think Piper intentionally misrepresented empty weight numbers to get the Usable weight numbers up. I think these planes weighed 50 to 60 pounds more than they advertised. They could have built one or a few "minimalist" planes for weighing and advertising purposes.

-Subsonic
    Last edited by Subsonic; 07-10-2023 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ol Spud weighed in at 1202 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. Actual (recent modern) weighed values: (1194.5 + 1200 + 1219.5 + 1202) / 4 = 1204 pound avg. Real data. More than 3 data points.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I'd like to understand your updates and compare them to mine, if it's convenient for us.

See you at OSH. I'll be camping next to my plane.

I think Piper intentionally misrepresented empty weight numbers to get the Usable weight numbers up. I think these planes weighed 50 to 60 pounds more than they advertised. They could have built one or a few "minimalist" planes for weighing and advertising purposes.

-Subsonic

That's my plan as well. I'll either be in the vintage or South camping.

All the SWP folks should get together on Wednesday for lunch somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. Actual (recent modern) weighed values: (1194.5 + 1200 + 1219.5 + 1202) / 4 = 1204 pound avg. Real data. More than 3 data points.
    So many variables go into what the actual empty weight is. Paint and upholstery are the two biggest drivers. Piper used the absolute minimum amount of dope necessary. Back when these airplanes were made, the cotton fabric only lasted 5 - 10 years and they went in for recover. Piper also used plain fabric on the interior, no fancy side panels, just fabric and dope and minimal padding in the seats. The next thing would be radios. Yes, the older radios weighed a lot, but most airplanes only had a com radio or maybe something like a Superhomer. Today we have NavComs, GPS, Transponders, ADSB and on and on. Many airplanes have added external oil filters, additional instruments like engine monitors, changed wheels and brakes, and the list goes on.

Just changing from a basic dope and fabric cover to one with polyurethane paint can add as much as 35 lbs. On the Tripacer that I had, it was Metalized and that added 37 lbs. Recapped tires adds more weight, dirt and corrosion adds weight. Thicker windows and windshields adds weight. weighing an airplane just after rain if it was outside will add weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Having worked on those old vacuum tube radios with heavy transformers I am convinced one super homer weighs more than my radio, intercom, gps, mini iPad, transponder, encoder, Stratus , GDL82 ADSB out. Headset, AV30.