Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Interav alt and Plane-power regulator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Interav alt and Plane-power regulator

My A&P decided probably best to replace the "not certified for use in Piper" Zeftronics R15100 with a Plane Power R1224... along with all the what-looks-like original wiring.... really yucky!

DSC07373.jpgDSC07431.jpgDSC07432.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McDaver63 View Post
    Peter,
    I'm not exactly sure what Piper recommends, it is not stated in my POH for a 52 PA-22, but I've always heard 14.2 +/- .4 volts from my IA
    . Mine is currently at about 13.8 volts so I want to turn it up a bit.
    I always thought 14.2 was ideal but a fellow IA who works for an avionics shop told me the other day 13.8 is better. Especially if you have a Gill battery. He did some reseach on the subject because one of their customers was changing batteries every year. I got to checking the airplanes I work and the aircraft charging at a lower rate have older batteries (3-4 years and still going). The aircraft with systems set to charge at a higher voltage were going through batteries every year or 2. Not hard evidence but enough for me to make some regulator adjustments where possible to see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quality Aircraft Accessories has spare parts and does overhauls. Have replaced a few sets of brushes in the Inter Av alternators.
    https://www.qaa.com/about/news/quali...r-product-line

Post Thanks / Like

Called QAA yesterday, would not sell me a brush assembly or bearings.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a set of Interav brushes 20 years ago and kept the box. They came in a box labeled Leece-Neville, Prestolite. I pulled the Interav sticker off, it was hiding the Leece-Neville-Prestolite number 103-15. The bearings are standard bearings used in most all automotive alternators such as Delco. I believe they are either 202 or 203 bearings.
    I believe the attached Service Manual and Parts manual covers the alternator Interav used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-26-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gilbert!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    Called QAA yesterday, would not sell me a brush assembly or bearings.
    I guess QAA just wants to do overhauls. Sad, that is why I chose not to use them on a magneto repair, it was all or nothing. Luckily there are places that can just fix what needs fixing without replacing everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was serviceable, just checking it and replacing common wear items. Building my 0-320 from the ground up and run into this crap over something as trivial as brushes and bearings. QAA is only hurtin themselves cause now Im pissed! cui bono

Post Thanks / Like

Need to wire my R1224 to the Interav, do I connect the field from R1224 to regulator terminal of Interav? What about Aux? Would like to install a warning light, 100 milliamp needed, whats the easy way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    Mine was serviceable, just checking it and replacing common wear items. Building my 0-320 from the ground up and run into this crap over something as trivial as brushes and bearings. QAA is only hurtin themselves cause now Im pissed! cui bono
    Got USA made parts and serviced it myself, piece of cake! These are industrial alternators, bearings on both ends of armature, built like a brick s#!#house!