Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Interav alt and Plane-power regulator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Interav alt and Plane-power regulator

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    Got USA made parts and serviced it myself, piece of cake! These are industrial alternators, bearings on both ends of armature, built like a brick s#!#house!
    The old bearings were Chinese! ARRRRGH!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    Need to wire my R1224 to the Interav, do I connect the field from R1224 to regulator terminal of Interav? What about Aux? Would like to install a warning light, 100 milliamp needed, whats the easy way?
    Guide M of Plane Power inst instructions: Guide MINTERAV These are installed on aircraft, which havebeen converted to an alternator from a generator by STCSA334SW.Use R1224.Labeling the wires is important for reconnection. If the ringlugs are damaged, crimp the provided ring lugs onto the wires.1. Remove Interav regulator and over voltage relay.The R1224 has internal over voltage protection,so the Interav over voltage relay is no longerneeded.2. Ensure that the R1224 jumpers are set for 14V.See Plane-Power R1224 Installation Drawing12-1001. Add a jumper between SENSE andAUX on both R1224B regulators.3. Install R1224 in the location from which theInterAv regulator was removed.4. Remove the wires on both terminals of theALTERNATOR switch (on the aircraft panel).Connect one terminal of the switch to the 5Abreaker where the wire to “Red-Pos” of theInterav OV Relay was connected. Connect theother terminal of the switch to R1224 #3 (Enable).5. Connect the GND (Ground) wire to R1224 #1(GRND).6. Connect the Field terminal of the alternator toR1224 #2 (FLD).7. Jumper R1224 #3 (Enable) to #4 (AUX). ForR1224 Rev C and later: Ensure that there isa jumper between R1224 #8 (SENSE) and #3(ENABLE).8. Remove all disconnected and unused wires.9. If a warning lamp is incorporated, connect oneterminal of the lamp to R1224 #5 (Lamp) andthe other terminal of the lamp to the aircraft busthrough a 1A fuse or breaker. Be sure the lampis a 100-milliamp bulb or it will not work properly.10. Adjust voltage as necessary with engine runningand alternator enabled.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Glen Geller; 02-02-2021 at 10:01 PM.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I had a really hard start a couple of days ago when I probably accidentally flooded the engine. Had to crank for a while. After the engine started, the AMP meter maxed out at 40 AMP. Isn’t the alternator rated at 60 AMP? Anyhow, my alternator breaker kept popping since it is only a 30 AMP breaker. Has anyone installed larger breakers to adjust for the higher output of the alternator vs the original generator.

Jürgen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

The breaker is sized to protect the wires from smoking.
    During the conversion to the alternator there should have been instructions for wire and breaker sizes.
    The ammeter is supposed to match the alternate also.
    I would look through all of the paperwork you have for your airplane and see if there are any for the conversion and go by that.
    There are resources on line to find the information if you do not already have it.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Using AC 43.13, you can calculate the guage of wire needed to increase amps to the buss/battery. Curious, what battery are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I had a really hard start a couple of days ago when I probably accidentally flooded the engine. Had to crank for a while. After the engine started, the AMP meter maxed out at 40 AMP. Isn’t the alternator rated at 60 AMP? Anyhow, my alternator breaker kept popping since it is only a 30 AMP breaker. Has anyone installed larger breakers to adjust for the higher output of the alternator vs the original generator.

Jürgen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

The INTERAV alternator installation instructions call for a 60 amp breaker between the alternator output and the main buss.
    It also calls for the wire size to accommodate that current based on the appropriate section of the 43.13-1B. As RickF said that is to protect the wire from smoking. In my case I used #8 wire from the BAT terminal on the alternator to the breaker and then to the amp meter and the to the buss. The amp meter will need to be sized appropriately. I would use the same size wire, #8, from the alternator ground terminal to a ground on the engine. What leaves the alternator hs to return to it.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 05-18-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess when the alternator was installed the mechanic didn’t follow the instructions. I’m 940 NM from home on the Florida Keys. Not sure what battery I have, but it cranked for a long time and it’s probably at least five years old. It’s a full-size battery that just about fits in the box.
    I need to tackle this as soon as I get home. Doesn’t make sense to have a 60 AMP (?) alternator that pops the 30 AMP breaker when it goes into full charge.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a G-35 or RG-35 battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Pacer42Z, If the install wasn't done correctly you need to check everything about it. My Colt has a 12A Generator. If I upgraded to a 60A Alternator I would have to change out wiring and breaker(s) for sure. I would really take a look at the wiring and make sure the high current wasn't melting the insulation or causing other issues. To me, it sounds like they just put the alternator and voltage regulator on and went about their business instead of following the STC.

If you ever are stopping at KCPK in Chesapeake VA let me know. I would love to see your plane.