Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eternal Alternator Choice Topic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Eternal Alternator Choice Topic

I agree. I was talking of replacing the voltage regulator inside the denso 100211-1680 that I just installed. The one plus I see to the separate excited wire is you can shut down the alternator (I know, you can pop the circuit breaker for it if there is issues I just like hat little bit of extra control).

Post Thanks / Like

My old Pacer still has the original 20 amp generator. From what I’ve seen, there is no real weight savings from an alternator conversion. Furthermore, after changing all of my lights to LED’s, I don’t think I’ll ever need more than 20 amps. Are there any other reasons for the conversion that I’m missing aside from the fact that “everyone else is doing it”?

Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest reasons is that the alternator will charge while the engine is at idle or low rpm.
    As you know, 1700-1900 rpm (rpm needed to get your gen to turn on) on the ramp can get you Clipping along rather briskly.
    So at nignt, dusk, with the old lamps, rotating beacon, & transponder, now turn on one taxi lamp and your battery is screaming "feed me!- feed me!" Now try to contact any one on the radio....it aint gonna happen...
    now change the 20A gen over to a 6lb, 40A Denso alt, and your $200.00 battery will say.....Thank You. Oh and by the way, you might even be able to turn on that landing light.
    Last edited by 51-pa22; 10-21-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The previous post sums it up pretty well. My battery wouldn’t last long enough to get night current using the original generator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was getting in after dark a lot and the generator wouldn't keep up with the lights at low rpm so I switched to the B&C alternator. With LED lights now there is probably no need but here are some weights which help.
    Complete generator system, bracket, voltage regulator complete 13.2 lbs
    B& C alternator with bracket, regulator complete 7.0 lb
    InterAv alternator alone 9.4

Post Thanks / Like

I am a little behind in getting this task fini, but JPerkins sent me his zip file discussed above and I have uploaded it to my sight.
    There are four files separately loaded, one for the sutton exhaust, the EI fuel gage, the Alternator and a electrical load analysis.
    the electrical analysis is in my folder titled Manuals-Service Info, the other 337's and info are in the folder labeled, STCs - Alterations.
    there are more files loaded there than I thought and maybe it's time to re-organize the website, but that will have to wait til
    I get tired playing with my airplane. to help find the 337 files look for the tail number , N4763A.

here's a link that will get you to the site, disregard the adult warning, I must have clicked on the wrong button
    when I set this site up quite a few years ago and have no idea how to correct that minor glitch or at this
    time in my life, care??? I just like saving tech info on airplanes, and it's there.

https://sites.google.com/site/shortw...ortwinginfo%2F

andy
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

andy, I always get a kick out of the "adult warning" please don't change it. In fact I think it should appear on other sites that have nothing to do with "flesh".

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, do you have pictures of your install? I'm in the middle of installing the B&C system. Look like they may have STC approval Jan, Feb 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries