Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Nose Tanks PA15, 16 & 17

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nose Tanks PA15, 16 & 17

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Melville View Post
    Hi Guys,
    We have had one of our group use fuel with Ethanol in it and caused a few issues. I am in the process of repairing the damage and trying to remove the guage(gage). I have got the Ford tools and a Ethanol proof float and gasket set. Removed the ring and plates but the guage won't move. I am not sure how it is extractred from the tank and don't want to 'persuade' it in a direction that it was not desigend to go. Does it come out through the filler neck, or through its own hole? I susect sealant has been used as there is a lot of it around the soldered joint.
    The black laquer on the scale has been trashed as well and wipes off when touched. What paint is best to refinish it. Ethanol proof if possible

Ian,

Here's additional information on paint, this company is in the UK and may be able to guide you to a Ethanol proof paint:

http://www.cwylde.co.uk/section.php?xSec=5&xPage=1&jssCart=8b86cc82d3ab711 5044a0d498a8f13a4

Like Gilbert said, the complete assembly is inexpensive, the new scale should be painted, too.
    Last edited by rideandfly; 07-01-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gilbert, The Piper drawings now make sense to me. Having removed the glass I think I will try reinstalling the inner nut and using that with the tool an spanner break the seal.

I'll have a look at paint for model aircraft is this the 2 pack types? I have, since I posted I have been reccomended a product called "POR-15 Top Coat Glossy Black Paint (BlackCote)", but no supporting evidence that it is Ethanol proof. Is this known to anyone

Post Thanks / Like

Ian,

I have used POR-15 tank sealant to seal two motorcycle tanks (internally) after getting the rust out, use gasoline with ethanol in both tanks for a few years without issues, Good Stuff. Hopefully more information can be found on their website about their paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Melville View Post
    Thanks Gilbert, The Piper drawings now make sense to me. Having removed the glass I think I will try reinstalling the inner nut and using that with the tool an spanner break the seal.

I'll have a look at paint for model aircraft is this the 2 pack types? I have, since I posted I have been reccomended a product called "POR-15 Top Coat Glossy Black Paint (BlackCote)", but no supporting evidence that it is Ethanol proof. Is this known to anyone
    POR-15 is impervious to everything. I used it on the frame of my 1931 Ford Model A

Post Thanks / Like

Visited a Vintage car gathering tonight. There was a 1931 Model A Ford there. Fuel gauge is same as the Vagabond:

Last edited by rideandfly; 08-16-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA16 Cliper fuselage tank gauge; removal, painting and sealing?

Hi,

How is the fuselage tank fuel gauge removed from PA16? Does it come out through the sight-hole or is removal of the entire tank necessary?
    The reason for removal is that the glue (looks blue but that could also be colored from the fuel) has started to dissolve and leak very slowly down from the gauge. Thick gooey stuff. I dont have fuel leaking now, but I know that will be the resault if nothing is done. At the same time I would like to paint the numbers on the gauge. Is red the best colour?

I could not find anything on the forum regarding this.

Thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I merged your thread with another on the subject that should answer your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Earlier this month the engin died on me in flight due to fuel starvation.
    I was flying on the nose tank when the engine started coughing and died, I immediately switched to the wing tank (I had put about 5 liters in the wing tank few days earlier to not keep it and its gauge dry for long periods during winter) and made it with the engine running till about 200ft above the runway. Landed the plane and asked for assistance to the hangar. Flight time 1:15.
    I figured the reason had to be my preflight and not leaning the mixture enough (human error..). Never had any problem like this the 4-5 years and approx 350 hrs I have on this airplane.
    I then filled up the main tank 5 liters at a time and checked the readings on the fuel gauge. Looked normal.

A few days later we started the annual inspection. One of the things I wanted to look at while at annual was a wery tiny leak (no drops, just could see some blue and feel a little gas on the area below) from the fuel gauge in the nose tank. We removed the gauge using the techniqe described in this thread trying not to turn the gauge itself. Turned out the gaskets were done so they were replaced. The stick holding the float was also loose and had to be tightened. Would that be a possible cause for this incdent? Looking at it I was not sure that it beeing loose would affect the reading on the tank before departure, I thought I had more than 3/4 in the tank before I left on that flight which should give me 1:40 - 1:45 air time.

When looking over this thread again today I noticed a picture of a fuel gauge with a straight stick holding the float. My stick has two bends in it.
    Do I have the correct stick?

Decided to share this with you to see if anyone has experienced the same and / or has other inputs.
    Last edited by JohnD; 03-30-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

JohnD,

I am fairly sure the float stick in my Vag is straight, though can't check just now as we aren't able to make non-essential car trips..
    The only way to check the calibration of your gauge for sure is to completely empty the nose tank then fill it 5 litres at a time and calibrate a new dip stick.
    My Vag is A65 powered with fixed mixture and I know a completely full nose tank will give me around 2 hrs 45 mins flying to fumes..
    TonyN