Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Selector Repair

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel Selector Repair

Looks like a good possibility of having to replace the selector valve in a PA12 w/ two wing tanks. If I get it out I will try repair, but the owner is interested in a new valve.
    >Which valve to use?
    >If I buy a new valve will I have to cut the fabric ti install it?
    >All comments , advice or help appreciated. Larry

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the fuel selector in my pacer with the Dakota cub fuel valve. It is a very well made valve and works great. I did have to cut the fabric around the valve the get the old one out and the new one in. I was able to make a trim ring and cover out of aluminum to cover the fabric area that I had to cut out. This trim panel is easily removed for future maintenance if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Huntley View Post
    Looks like a good possibility of having to replace the selector valve in a PA12 w/ two wing tanks. If I get it out I will try repair, but the owner is interested in a new valve.
    >Which valve to use?
    >If I buy a new valve will I have to cut the fabric ti install it?
    >All comments , advice or help appreciated. Larry
    Most PA12s have two valves, one for each tank unless the fuel syatem was modified. Removal depends on how nice the previous rebuilder was since the interior is covered in fabric.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Most PA12s have two valves, one for each tank unless the fuel syatem was modified. Removal depends on how nice the previous rebuilder was since the interior is covered in fabric.
    Yep,2 valves. Owner said vale was leaking but had been fixed. I just finished covering the fuselage. Are these valves available? Are they repairable? Wish we woulda replaced it w/ the Dakota valve while in was undressed. Interior is a heavy Airtex? upholstery. I really don't want to have to pull that to find the leak, but if so , so be it. Thanks, Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    I replaced the fuel selector in my pacer with the Dakota cub fuel valve. It is a very well made valve and works great. I did have to cut the fabric around the valve the get the old one out and the new one in. I was able to make a trim ring and cover out of aluminum to cover the fabric area that I had to cut out. This trim panel is easily removed for future maintenance if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org
    Did you have to cut the outer fabric to get the Dakota in or just the interior fabric. Thanks Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Huntley View Post
    Did you have to cut the outer fabric to get the Dakota in or just the interior fabric. Thanks Larry
    I only had to cut the fabric on the inside of the cockpit. My interior is only covered in poly fiber and it went right up to and around the original Valve. The only way to get to the fittings on my valve was to cut the fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.
    I had a fellow buy a new valve for a Colt. By the time the valve came I had the old one repaired and working fine.We then found we would have had to cut the outside fabric to install the new one, so he sent it back. Dunno what brand valve. Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Depending on where the leak is the repair procedure is in this thread. Out the stem the o'ring, internal leak lap the brass cone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Doing an annual inspection and noticed the fuel valve was very stiff and hard to tell if the selector was in the detent for the tank. Kinda scary cause you might need those ports aligned properly to have full fuel flow on take-off. This was in a Super Cub so it has aluminum interior panels. I removed the fuel valve access panel which got me to the big acorn nut around the valve stem.
    IMG_20181031_091148.jpg

A 15/16" deep well socket worked well for removing the nut. When I removed the nut the washer on top of the spring came off but luckily it was easily found on the floor.
    IMG_20181031_091208.jpg

I reinstalled the handle to help wiggle the plug out of the fuel valve body.
    IMG_20181031_091401.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The cone had a shiny spot but the valve body was smooth and couldn't really feel anything with my fingernail.
    IMG_20181031_091422.jpg

IMG_20181031_091609.jpg

IMG_20181031_091634.jpg

I cleaned the cone with some Scotchbrite and coated with EZ Turn, replaced the MS29513-011 o'ring for the stem and reassembled per the drawing on the first page in this thread and Service Letter 354B, filled the tanks back up and it worked like a charm. Smooth as silk and I could feel each detent.
    Attached Files Attached Files